*Spoiler* Question about the Lich King

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Naja
Doomsayer

*Spoiler* Question about the Lich King

Post by Naja » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:56 pm

In the Lich King's concept art, it says that he exists as a "ghost inside the mind of the Immortal." What exactly does this mean?

I'm remembering this passage about what happens when Suul'Ka feed:

Erinys wrote:And then you lose consciousness and you don't get to see the white tunnel with all your friends and family. You go to an ancient terrible place of darkness where something that refuses to die lives forever, knitting your soul into its own.

When a Suul'Ka feeds on the lifeforce of other sentients, do those sentients remain "alive" inside the Suul'Ka that consumed them?

MrBoom

Re: *Spoiler* Question about the Lich King

Post by MrBoom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Naja wrote:In the Lich King's concept art, it says that he exists as a "ghost inside the mind of the Immortal." What exactly does this mean?

I'm remembering this passage about what happens when Suul'Ka feed:

Erinys wrote:And then you lose consciousness and you don't get to see the white tunnel with all your friends and family. You go to an ancient terrible place of darkness where something that refuses to die lives forever, knitting your soul into its own.

When a Suul'Ka feeds on the lifeforce of other sentients, do those sentients remain "alive" inside the Suul'Ka that consumed them?

I wonder what happens when that Suul'ka gets cutting-beamed in half afterward...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm

In answer to Naja's question: whether the consciousness of the devoured remains really intact in any way is obviously a speculative matter. But all Suul'ka are extremely gifted psionically, and a creature as old and powerful as the Eldest could certainly collect certain personalities like pearls within the greater matrix of himself, for reasons that perhaps only he could fathom. The Lich King remains intact and is allowed to "go out and play", borrowing some of the Traveler's power and abilities to do so.

For other Suul'ka, annihilation of the consumed is almost guaranteed. The Cannibal has little curiosity about the thoughts and feelings of his victims; he only wants to feed. The Bloodweaver, by contrast, is a naturally curious entity, and indeed the extension of his life is largely in service to his endless curiosity. A particularly intelligent or insightful scientist's mind might be rolled around like candy for years or even centuries, preserved as a pattern to be consulted.

The outcome of being consumed, in other words, is very dependent on the particulars of the psychopath involved...and sometimes on how you have behaved. You can earn a clean death from the Kraken, by fighting valiantly. If you damage the Siren, by contrast...you can expect to be punished.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Yikes. Being "consulted" for centuries inside the mind of a space-whale Joseph Mengele sounds like a fate worse than death.

Then again, I shudder to imagine what a legendary sadist like the Siren considers "punishment." Especially if your psychic essense could feel it for as many years as She wills it.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 am

Erinys wrote:In answer to Naja's question: whether the consciousness of the devoured remains really intact in any way is obviously a speculative matter. But all Suul'ka are extremely gifted psionically, and a creature as old and powerful as the Eldest could certainly collect certain personalities like pearls within the greater matrix of himself, for reasons that perhaps only he could fathom. The Lich King remains intact and is allowed to "go out and play", borrowing some of the Traveler's power and abilities to do so.

For other Suul'ka, annihilation of the consumed is almost guaranteed. The Cannibal has little curiosity about the thoughts and feelings of his victims; he only wants to feed. The Bloodweaver, by contrast, is a naturally curious entity, and indeed the extension of his life is largely in service to his endless curiosity. A particularly intelligent or insightful scientist's mind might be rolled around like candy for years or even centuries, preserved as a pattern to be consulted.

The outcome of being consumed, in other words, is very dependent on the particulars of the psychopath involved...and sometimes on how you have behaved. You can earn a clean death from the Kraken, by fighting valiantly. If you damage the Siren, by contrast...you can expect to be punished.

--Arinn

Regarding the Kraken, that sort of confirm the impression I had of him almost seeming like he was one of the few "honorable" Suul'ka.
That is, he'd still butcher and cut your race down into pieces just for fun, but would actually pay "respect"(...in a fashion...) if you fought back with effort.

Or at least was the impression I kind of had of him.

sob

Post by sob » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Ludovsky wrote:
Erinys wrote:In answer to Naja's question: whether the consciousness of the devoured remains really intact in any way is obviously a speculative matter. But all Suul'ka are extremely gifted psionically, and a creature as old and powerful as the Eldest could certainly collect certain personalities like pearls within the greater matrix of himself, for reasons that perhaps only he could fathom. The Lich King remains intact and is allowed to "go out and play", borrowing some of the Traveler's power and abilities to do so.

--Arinn

Regarding the Kraken, that sort of confirm the impression I had of him almost seeming like he was one of the few "honorable" Suul'ka.
That is, he'd still butcher and cut your race down into pieces just for fun, but would actually pay "respect"(...in a fashion...) if you fought back with effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0K63RYrlXc
kraken
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Ludovsky wrote:

--Arinn

I wouldn't call it "honor," just a different kind of narcissism. Fighting valiantly in the Kraken's eyes means "you have been worthy of my time, the greatest warrior in existence. I will give you a swift and merciful death because I am so magnanimous, etc."

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Well, it's sort of what I guess I meant.

Kinda the "arrogant sportsman" type I guess.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

I guess if you *have* to die, you might aswell die fast, I'd prefer just being smahed to bits then being Psionically eaten by one of them, only to be tortured for centuries.

About the Eldest, if his mind is a matrix in which he inserts useful souls, wouldn't that make him either all powerful and good at everything or change his character bit by bit? Or is his soul so vast, so immesurable, that all added parts merely fade into the whole of his being? If so, I'd prefer clean death please, thank you.

Also, if the Siren retained her female persona - which was earlier explained is the embodiment of leaderships to youngers, guidance in need and caring - wouldn't it be possible to... I dunno, persuade her to help the good guys? Or is she unlike any other female liir and those traits of the spectrum no longer aplly to her or she's given them some sickly twist?

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Aedrion wrote:Also, if the Siren retained her female persona - which was earlier explained is the embodiment of leaderships to youngers, guidance in need and caring - wouldn't it be possible to... I dunno, persuade her to help the good guys? Or is she unlike any other female liir and those traits of the spectrum no longer aplly to her or she's given them some sickly twist?

Very, very sickly twisted. The Siren is a mentor...to future Suul'Ka. She had a tendancy to hover above Muur when a Great Elder was close to death, and to whisper to him that there were alternatives to dying. Her reason for doing so? She was lonely.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

But Suul'ka don't seem to like eachother very much, and since great elders care not for close company or sex, why would she?

It's insidious that she'd whisper to them that way but I don't understand her motives very well, if it's true.
Does she envision herself leading a school/herd/flock/fight/whatever of younger Suul'ka to conquer the galaxy? =O

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:52 pm

She is fundamentally female, Aedrion, and for a Liir that means that she expects someone else to protect her and fight for her. Someone male.

Both the Kraken and the Bloodweaver are younger than she is. They violently hate each other. Have you never wondered why?

--Arinn

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Space Cthulhu love triangle FTW!!!

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I have, but I never thought it'd be something involving her since I assumed Elders, moreso great Elders didn't care for genders, mating or anything of the sort. I thought they were more concerned with pursuing their own unique goals.

Which is why I thought The Kraken and The Bloodweaver hated eachother because one works in vile, deceitful ways (plagues and other bio-weapons) to win wars, creates weak and inferior species and violates the purity that is creation and life with his own twisted version of creation.

Whereas the Kraken favours brutal face-to-face war, strenght, and a pure physical form, his armour I believe covers to least of his - in his eyes - pure and flawless body when compared to the suits of other Suul'ka, leading me to believe he would hate disease and twisted flesh, as it's directly opposed to his beliefs.

But, since The Siren is in there, stirring the pool, perhaps it only fuels the fire? Or am I just speculating wildly?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 am

They would never have liked it each other. But hate is a passion. A fire requires fuel.

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”