*Spoiler* Question about the Lich King

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Aedrion

Re: *Spoiler* Question about the Lich King

Post by Aedrion » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 am

What does the Eldest think of the other Suul'ka? He's way older than they are, basically transcended normal life and his goal is to live forever.

Does he see them as others who ascended but who will eventually die or as competition or as fodder to use before killing them himself?
I know the Usurper wants to eventually kill the Suul'ka and be the only one but in order for the Eldest to achieve his goal, the others will at some point also have to die. =)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:45 am

He's the Eldest. There is no rush.

All things in time.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 pm

So basically, he's an old man and he takes things slow, that sure explain why he's the best teleporter. :D

"I'm old, my bones are old, I'll just teleport."

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:37 pm

You do not "just teleport" to save effort. Any more than you "just do a pull-up" or a cartwheel to avoid the pain of walking.

--Arinn

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:58 pm

I know, it was a joke.

I assume he's the best teleporter because of the way he's tied into the fabric of the universe? But it's funny to think he does it because he's old and it's his wheelchair. :P

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 am

Practice makes perfect and he has had a long, long time to practice.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:05 am

Erinys wrote:She is fundamentally female, Aedrion, and for a Liir that means that she expects someone else to protect her and fight for her. Someone male.

Both the Kraken and the Bloodweaver are younger than she is. They violently hate each other. Have you never wondered why?

--Arinn

So the Bloodweaver created the Zuul and helped nearly annihilate the Morrigi...just to impress the Siren? That's one hell of a date.

Has the Kraken (or any other younger Suul'Ka for that matter) ever done anything more heinous-than-usual to impress her Sirenness?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 am

Almost certainly.

--Arinn

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 am

It's curious how the liir get upset over one death and the Suul'ka can butcher millions and not care. The Siren has, The Kraken, Sotspedia says they're all responsible for countless unspeakable acts. Yet they don't care.

Is that why they have named themselves or have been named after suul, that type of ice? They were the first and only to have somehow managed to shield their minds from unwanted emotions from the outside, and after having done so they sort of became part of their own and increasingly twisted metaconcert. Where only their own voice sang in the void of space?

If that's true, is that why the liir haven't looked into ways to train the black swimmers to shield themselves from suffering, out of fear they might become Suul'ka?

This game needs more games, and more books, and a movie - a good one - no, a Trilogy! :D

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:35 am

I think only the Deaf shields himself from the suffering of others.
I get the impression many of the Suul'ka enjoy feeling others suffer.

IIRC, it is the arrogance that comes with thinking oneself to be "too important to die" that cuased them to turn Suul'ka.
That arrogance leads to the thought that no other life is of even a fraction of the value of their own. Mere play things or tools.

Or food.

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 pm

In short, they're sociopaths.

Z32

Post by Z32 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:53 pm

That Schmuck wrote:In short, they're sociopaths.

Not necessarily, I'd characterize a sociopath by pretty much a relative lack of empathy.

Suul'ka are still liir and, by nature, empathetic creatures. They feel everything they're doing to their victims, whereas a sociopath would simply block that out of their minds, or be incapable of feeling it in the first place. For the suul'ka, the internalized suffering of the billions they slay is as much a part of their identity as anything else.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:02 pm

But if that's true, then why and how did they switch from hating suffering to loving it. What was it that made them decide their lives were worth more, how'd they become Suul'ka?
Something like that doesn't happen overnight.

Was it chance, was it the Eldest who spoke to them, or later the Siren? Was it something else? =O

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Nah, sociopathy isn't so much the absence of empathy as it is no internalized sense of right and wrong. Someone with no social skills could be devoid of empathy and not be a sociopath for it. It's not always the case, but there are sociopaths who are utterly charming; in their eyes they're just using the skills they have to get what they want. In the end, a sociopath doesn't ask "Is this wrong/evil? If so, what can I do instead?" instead they ask "Will I get caught? Will it matter if I get caught?" In that regard, the Suul'ka are similar enough. Their narcissism in seeing all other sentients as innately inferior doesn't hurt either.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 pm

It all starts from the fear of death. A normal Great Elder learns to accept death - and losing one's ego to become pure Song - as natural and right, albeit terrifying.

A Suul'Ka-in-the-making has other ideas.

Return to “The Lore”