Desperate measures.

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Desperate measures.

Post by Erinys » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 pm

SFS Lovenought wrote:Another desperate measure I just thought of would be to try and "stun" the Suul'ka with a psychic scream.

Since the death throes of the Morrigies old empire was "audible" all the way at Muur, I wonder what the affect of the entire populace of a planet dying an agonizing death from a terrible plague would be on a Suul'ka in the same system.

That sound is music to them, Lovenought. If it were not, they would not be what they are and do the things they do. The only exception to this is the Deaf, and the only music in his universe is silence...the silence that comes when no other being remains alive to torment him with its noise.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Indeed, I always figured the best jamming signal, the one that would really drive the Sull'ka to insane rage.....

Mocking laughter... Backed by a smug sense of superiority. I know humans can manage it pretty well. I'm sure the Tarka, Hiver and Morrigi can do it too. Liir just have to learn the best target for the whole "Dickface" thing. The Prester Zuul might have the hardest time, the whole "scary Zuul" voice might not be the best for sarcasm and mockery.

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 pm

cooptimo wrote:The whole "scary Zuul" voice might not be the best for sarcasm and mockery.

I think it would be perfect, actually. It would get across their utter contempt for the Winter Minds very well.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Actually, the Liir and the Prester Zuul have the most maddening reaction of all.

Pity.

--Arinn

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm

cooptimo wrote:Indeed, I always figured the best jamming signal, the one that would really drive the Sull'ka to insane rage.....

Mocking laughter... Backed by a smug sense of superiority. I know humans can manage it pretty well. I'm sure the Tarka, Hiver and Morrigi can do it too. Liir just have to learn the best target for the whole "Dickface" thing. The Prester Zuul might have the hardest time, the whole "scary Zuul" voice might not be the best for sarcasm and mockery.

Deliberately goading the evil telepathic space-whales may not be the best idea - what with them having the ability to lifedrain your planet with their minds - possibly whilst mentally broadcasting a message to the leaders of your empire saying 'now whos laughing?'

sob

Post by sob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm

During basic training I used to smile while getting "TRAINING" used to make the instructors really angry. Not sure it was the smart thing but it was the right thing to do. But then again they can not absorb my mind and torment me for a thousands of years. Still I would do it just to show them up.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

TsukinoUsagi

Post by TsukinoUsagi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:32 pm

cooptimo wrote:Mocking laughter... Backed by a smug sense of superiority.

Each Suul'ka would probably respond to this very differently. I would assume that Always Empty wouldn't care what his food thinks, and that Thundering Fists would just take it as a challenge.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Erinys wrote:That sound is music to them, Lovenought. If it were not, they would not be what they are and do the things they do. The only exception to this is the Deaf, and the only music in his universe is silence...the silence that comes when no other being remains alive to torment him with its noise.

--Arinn

But those noisy creatures are also Deaf's source of sustenance. As much as noise torments him, I'm sure the idea of dying is even more unpleasant. How does Deaf rectify his omnicidal tendancies with his need to keep at least "some" things alive in order to sustain himself?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:16 am

There are plenty of simpler life forms that can be consumed. They don't HAVE to be sentient.

--Arinn

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:21 am

Ah, so only sentients cause the noise that Deaf hates so much. Gotcha.

If he is so sensitive, why is he called He Does Not Hear?

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:55 am

Naja wrote:Ah, so only sentients cause the noise that Deaf hates so much. Gotcha.

If he is so sensitive, why is he called He Does Not Hear?

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20747&start=15#p427372
- Resok

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 pm

I get the feeling the Deaf must have been pestered -quite- frequently by "younglins' " when he was a great Elder to hate "noise" so much.

... oh god, now I'm just picturing him as a redneck on a porch with a shotgun and stereotypicall yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

Of course, instead of a shotgun's it's probably more like omnicidal-grade psychic powers but still.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:30 am

And his lawn is the sotsverse... The Deaf be mad bro!
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

SFS Lovenought

Post by SFS Lovenought » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:49 am

Erinys wrote:That sound is music to them

But too much music can be painful, no matter how sweet.

Betatrack

Post by Betatrack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Ludovsky wrote:I get the feeling the Deaf must have been pestered -quite- frequently by "younglins' " when he was a great Elder to hate "noise" so much.

... oh god, now I'm just picturing him as a redneck on a porch with a shotgun and stereotypicall yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

Of course, instead of a shotgun's it's probably more like omnicidal-grade psychic powers but still.

No! He's this guy:

Return to “The Lore”