Suul'ka motivations

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Sevain

Re: Suul'ka motivations

Post by Sevain » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 pm

SFS Lovenought wrote:You saying "More is better" reminded me of Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, who thought the opposite and removed almost all the exposition from ME3's ending on purpose. Because they wanted a Matrix ending that people would debate for ages they went at the ending with a chainsaw until it made no goddam sense, then called it art.

And the rest is history.
The difference is that in ME3 the content is removed rendering the ending incomprehensible. In SOTSII the content is locked until unlocked in the game through player action, in order to preserve the surprise and the joy of finding the pieces for the puzzle.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm

ME3 could have used a dose of Erinys.

Near the end they completely forgot about psysics, logic, biology, intelligence and basically everything.
The ending was so shit, real shit could sit right next to it and say: Wow, this is really shit!

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Agree on the ME3 Ending, though I think they made a decent try at fixing things with the EC...

But back to Suul'ka motivations, is there any hope at all for any of them to find redemption? I ask this because one of the very best parts of the sots story from my perspective is the way the Zuul have been handled. They start out as a random and scary menace, then a full blown, "always chaotic-evil" race of psychopathic monsters. Then Sots2 reveals that no! Just like every other race in the game, Zuul are capable of altruism, sacrifice and heroism. In fact, the prester Zuul are in many ways now the "Big Good" in the story, from my perspective at least. What's more heroic after all, the angel that remains an angel or the demon who casts aside evil?

So could a Suul'ka find redemption? Do the the Liir offer it every time they do battle? One can almost imagine the Liir begging the fallen elder to come to their senses, to turn aside and become what they once used to be, even if it's futile. Could any of the Suul'ka still have some spark of what they used to be inside of them?

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 pm

cooptimo wrote:Agree on the ME3 Ending, though I think they made a decent try at fixing things with the EC...

But back to Suul'ka motivations, is there any hope at all for any of them to find redemption? I ask this because one of the very best parts of the sots story from my perspective is the way the Zuul have been handled. They start out as a random and scary menace, then a full blown, "always chaotic-evil" race of psychopathic monsters. Then Sots2 reveals that no! Just like every other race in the game, Zuul are capable of altruism, sacrifice and heroism. In fact, the prester Zuul are in many ways now the "Big Good" in the story, from my perspective at least. What's more heroic after all, the angel that remains an angel or the demon who casts aside evil?

So could a Suul'ka find redemption? Do the the Liir offer it every time they do battle? One can almost imagine the Liir begging the fallen elder to come to their senses, to turn aside and become what they once used to be, even if it's futile. Could any of the Suul'ka still have some spark of what they used to be inside of them?

But is that because of their own nature. Or because they absorbed the minds of so many people that had good in their minds and hearts rather than just hatred like the Zuul Horde leaders do.

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Perhaps the spark that provided the Zuul redemption was the Deacon's absorbtion of enough uh.... "healthy food"? But as a species we now have lots of Prester Zuul being raised in situations where they share their parents values without it being force-fed to them. Also, I understand the some Zuul leave the horde on their own accord. My understanding is that while the horde has an evil culture, the Zuul as a species are capable of the same moral judgements all other species can make.

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Well.. If I remember things correctly. The Zuul leaders (The ones in power) horde information. It is possible the Deacon instead shares his knowledge which leads to Zuul following his example.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

I think for the Liir, killing Suul'Ka is just as much about doing a service for the Suul'Ka as doing a service for the universe. They do after all pity them.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Naja wrote:I think for the Liir, killing Suul'Ka is just as much about doing a service for the Suul'Ka as doing a service for the universe. They do after all pity them.

This!

DarkCecilo wrote:Well.. If I remember things correctly. The Zuul leaders (The ones in power) horde information. It is possible the Deacon instead shares his knowledge which leads to Zuul following his example.

And this!

:D

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm

I agree with both points, but one of the things Arinn went over elsewhere is that the kind of mental domination that horde Zuul use is repugnant to Prester Zuul. They have rejected the values of the horde and embraced the Liir. If it were just a new happy-shiny mental domination, the Zuul wouldn't be "good" at this point they would just be slaves again to a different master. The Suul'ka in many ways remind me of some of the themes in Homeworld: Cataclysm. The fact that apparently SOTS-3 will eventually reveal an even bigger badder threat makes me think that it's possible, perhaps unlikely but possible that at least one of the Suul'ka might "turn" in some manner. Just speculating I admit and I have a habit of being spectacularly wrong.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Probably whatever removed the Elder races from the universe. Or whatever made them build the System killer.

I'd say it's something related to the Proteans, maybe a giant one or a race of giant ones that take one planet per 3 individuals and then sort of... terraform it or make those planets into organic blobs that create and launch more protheans into space. I dunno; in Arinn we trust, she'll give us something mind-blowing for sure! :D

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Absolutely, I'm already planning on wearing my brown pants when the big reveal happens.

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 am

cooptimo wrote:Absolutely, I'm already planning on wearing my brown pants when the big reveal happens.

:lol:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

under_khan

Post by under_khan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:36 am

Is there a relationship between the Usurper and the Black? Was he the Suul'ka that forced the Liir through the last industrial revolution? Was the Black the next oldest/eldest on Muur after the Usurper?

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 am

The info for the Usurper, which includes his origins, is in the SotSopedia. Last I heard we weren't supposed to actually mention it on the forum.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 pm

I think it would be fine to mention that the Usurper came after the Black, though.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Return to “The Lore”