Engine cabibilities

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

heart of midlothian

Engine cabibilities

Post by heart of midlothian » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I was wondering about the limitations of the various races starships, what i was wondering most is can they take off from a planet under their own power (and if some cannot are their any acceptions) and if they cant how do they leave planetary drydocks? (i assume their are such things as orbital dockyards is a reserchable technology).
also how long would it take the various ships at cruising speed to get to Jupiter from earth?

SFS Lovenought

Re: Engine cabibilities

Post by SFS Lovenought » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Just think about how we constructed the ISS.
But I would assume everyone except Humans, Zuul and Hivers on Fission tech would be able to exit atmo.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Humanity can launch ship from the surface even in the fission stage, as is evidenced by the launch of the Nova Maria and the speedy construction of a warfleet after that. Building an orbital dock first would have slowed the construction down rather heavily. And the Hivers have been venturing into space for some 1000 years (well a long time at least), they have plenty experience with launching ships.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:58 am

Cruisers probably can. There's a reason you need to research orbital construction for anything bigger.

LVs are probably completely incapable of landing. Unless you count crash landing.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 am

that would leave quite the scar on a continent :twisted:

feld
Cassandra

Re: Engine capabilities

Post by feld » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Caveat: I'm not a dev, just a nuclear powered spaceship guy (long story). So Mecron and Erinys are probably going to weigh in and tell me why I'm wrong in their universe. But, hey, what's the internet for...
heart of midlothian wrote:I was wondering about the limitations of the various races starships, what i was wondering most is can they take off from a planet under their own power (and if some cannot are their any acceptions) and if they cant how do they leave planetary drydocks? (i assume their are such things as orbital dockyards is a reserchable technology).

I would doubt that any race that uses nuclear rockets for sublight propulsion would build large ships to take off from planets using those drives because they'd really fry their environment...think all the Real World (tm.) atomic bomb tests all at once, in one place, every time you used the rocket to lift a single CR.

That doesn't mean that they don't use the nuclear powerplants to power some other sort of drives for takeoff. Perhaps the liiran stutterwarp works in atmo for instance or they have some sort of gravity control.

heart of midlothian wrote:also how long would it take the various ships at cruising speed to get to Jupiter from earth?

The real answer is "as long as the devs think it should in their universe". If you're looking for a more detailed extrapolation of what might be possible in Real Life (tm.)

Can only give you a guess for Solforce.
In Real Life (tm), fusion rockets like it *looks* like Solforce uses have been studied by various folks for years and we think we've got a pretty good idea of possible performance. But we've never actually built one and we're a long way from building one...though they do not seem to violate our understanding of the universe. There's a .pdf paper by Craig Williams at NASA's Lewis Research Center that tries to answer your question based on how we predict such a rocket might work though. You can see the charts and graphs at the back to see where I'm pulling these numbers.

The short answer is: it depends on your assumptions but a one way trip to Jupiter with a fusion rocket using our most optimistic technology assumptions will take 10 days...if you want to carry no payload (i.e. your whole rocket is engine and fuel). If you want to carry 25% of your mass as payload (in this case crew, guns, ammo, etc) you can get there in about 24 days. Going slower allows you to carry more stuff.

For Tarka, Morrighi, and Liir, I do not think this can be answered easily without the developers basically telling us for any of the races that use gravitic or stutterwarp propulsion. Though, you could just take the speeds on the design screen and do the math. The min and max distances between Earth and Jupiter are available on the net.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the wall o text.

v/r
feld
edit: fixed typos and eliminated uselessly self-serving personal information.
Last edited by feld on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Tarrak wrote:Humanity can launch ship from the surface even in the fission stage, as is evidenced by the launch of the Nova Maria and the speedy construction of a warfleet after that.

If my memory of the opening cinematic to Prime serves me right, Nova Maria comes out of a space dock.

v/r
feld

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:23 pm

If you use the values given in the design screen, you will notice that SotS ships are fairly fast in STL.

If you just want to do the distance from Earth to Jupiter in the fastest time possible, even an LV can do it in under 3 days. It will rush past jupiter at 0.01c, though.
If you actually want to do something there, you're looking at roughly four days.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Roger that! They are certainly much faster than any macroscopic natural object in our solar system. Solar escape is about 40 kms and I think most sots2 ships push in the hundreds...

v/r
feld

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Only the slowest are below double digits, and that's just combat speed.

A Morrigi BR with Antimatter Blade drive can actually do the trip in just under a day. At least theoretically, no clue how much fuel they have.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Combat speeds are probably not indicative of cruising speeds. For combat you want an engine with a high impulse, fuel efficiency be damned because your enemy will not politely wait while your fuel efficient but low impulse engine permits you to catch up. Quite possibly they have a lower impulse mode with a higher exhaust velocity for cruising.

Or maybe they really are that good at making things zoom around. :)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Quite probably. Still, they're quite a lot faster than what be considered realistic nowadays.

Although BRs probably don't use their own engines for cruising at all.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Only the slowest are below double digits, and that's just combat speed.

A Morrigi BR with Antimatter Blade drive can actually do the trip in just under a day. At least theoretically, no clue how much fuel they have.

If I were to hesitate to guess, BRs would probably need enough fuel to be able to travel within a solar system. They would also need enough fuel for extended combat, which would need a lot of fuel intensive maneuvering.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Return to “The Lore”