Earth animals vs. Zuul younglings

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

jp161

Post by jp161 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:32 pm

Are there any animals on earth now or at the SotS 1/2 era that would actually be a credible threat to the Zuul younglings?

Though, seeing how ferocious and quickly growing they are...

Also, when/if a Zuul youngling infestation happens, what other methods are there to combat them besides flamethrower equipped soldiers clearing out every nook and cranny?

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 am

SFS Lovenought

Re: Earth animals vs. Zuul younglings

Post by SFS Lovenought » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 am

jp161 wrote:Also, when/if a Zuul youngling infestation happens, what other methods are there to combat them besides flamethrower equipped soldiers clearing out every nook and cranny?

Nanite plague? I don't think being immune to diseases would work against that. Or if you weren't interested in preserving biosphere you could quarantine the planet until they completely destroy all sources of food.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 pm

jp161 wrote:Are there any animals on earth now or at the SotS 1/2 era that would actually be a credible threat to the Zuul younglings?

Human. :p

jp161 wrote:
Though, seeing how ferocious and quickly growing they are...

Also, when/if a Zuul youngling infestation happens, what other methods are there to combat them besides flamethrower equipped soldiers clearing out every nook and cranny?

On a more serious note, probably not over the long run. They've been genetically engineered for the purpose of taking on anything that comes "naturally".
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

fibio

Post by fibio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Until they grow big I imagine that they'd fall just as easily as any small mammal to a large carnivore. The issue comes that there's never going to be enough top tier predators to kill them all, and they don't stay small for very long :twisted:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:09 pm

Humanity hasn't been able to get rid of rats. And these are rats that grow to be as big as bears, fight with telepathic coordination, hunt by sensing your feelings, and are capable of eating your thoughts to become smarter.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Golden Yak wrote:Humanity hasn't been able to get rid of rats. And these are rats that grow to be as big as bears, fight with telepathic coordination, hunt by sensing your feelings, and are capable of eating your thoughts to become smarter.

Sure, but it isn't as if we are trying very hard. Our efforts could at best be called 'containment' with very few people actually doing serious work, and most just going about laying a trap here and there scratching their butt. And those are the professionals, of which there are not that many.
Tell people that those little critters will literally eat their children, devour their thoughts and overexploit the planet to a pile of rubble, then you can be sure a huge number of humans would be out searching for these nasty things. I know I would. We have to assume humanity knows about the Zuul by now. When fully mobilized humanity isn't as slack as we tend to look at them these days.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

sob

Post by sob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Tarrak wrote:
Golden Yak wrote:Humanity hasn't been able to get rid of rats. And these are rats that grow to be as big as bears, fight with telepathic coordination, hunt by sensing your feelings, and are capable of eating your thoughts to become smarter.

Sure, but it isn't as if we are trying very hard. Our efforts could at best be called 'containment' with very few people actually doing serious work, and most just going about laying a trap here and there scratching their butt. And those are the professionals, of which there are not that many.
Tell people that those little critters will literally eat their children, devour their thoughts and overexploit the planet to a pile of rubble, then you can be sure a huge number of humans would be out searching for these nasty things. I know I would. We have to assume humanity knows about the Zuul by now. When fully mobilized humanity isn't as slack as we tend to look at them these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA- ... re=related
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 pm

That is more true than I like to admit... Though in that case it is a matter of propaganda (good propaganda uses the truth and then adds a little more), but I guess to the general population there isn't really an obvious destinction until after the fact.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 pm

There are many Terran animals who could make short work of a Zuuling. A single large cat or dog can kill a single Zuuling, and any raptor or serious hunter bird would find one a tasty meal. Larger predators find them every bit as tasty as rats and rabbits, and other burrowing rodents are capable of fighting them one-on-one, including the weasel, stoat, and real rats for that matter.

Zuulings, like rats, become most dangerous when they attack in a mass wave, either out of panic or starvation. Even a bear or a lion could be killed by a million mice.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Reminds me of NOVA: Rat Attack
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/rat-attack.html
"two, three thousand rats per acre"

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

jp161

Post by jp161 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 am

Cheers Erinys & everyone else who took part, interesting read. :)

Return to “The Lore”