Who built the system killer? And Why?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

tericc

Re: Who built the system killer? And Why?

Post by tericc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:24 am

I bet the system killer was engineered to fight the proteins. Only race identified as of yet (maybe) that would be during that time frame. Protein's do all kinds of crap to planet's. System killer was developed in a time of need. (Proteins needed to be ended?) There pretty dangerous and they do things to the biosphere of a planet benifical to us but if left to their own devices what is the intended result? perhaps the proteins gone out of control and infected system killers creators planets. System killer wasn't designated to show mercy for after all it was a time of need ;)

Need for what? Win a war?
or wining = hope for continued existence?

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:14 am

You might be right... Some ancient coder made a spelling mistake and instead of wiping out the Proteans the SK went for wiping out proteins, and now we suffer the results. ;p
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 am

I personally think He Who Shapes made the Protheans, he likes making stuff, doesn't matter if it's space blobs or a race of mind-ripping crazies.

Maybe the System Killer was made to ward off an old threat indeed, some enemy they couldn't defeat themselves, though... then why are they dead? Were they ALL killed by their own machine? Or did the SK fail to stop whatever was coming for them and they died anyway. And now it just roams in space, useless.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am

Goomich wrote:...
Can you explain me, why should I care about your people. More about your people settling in my systems?

No one said you'd have to care, but they'll still get all ragey on you.

"We could have settled that!!"
"Your destroying natural environ's you corporate stooge!"
"All my weeds! Nooooo!!!!"

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Aedrion wrote:I personally think He Who Shapes made the Protheans, he likes making stuff, doesn't matter if it's space blobs or a race of mind-ripping crazies.

No he didn't. He is not nearly old enough.

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:28 pm

tericc wrote:I bet the system killer was engineered to fight the proteins. Only race identified as of yet (maybe) that would be during that time frame. Protein's do all kinds of crap to planet's. System killer was developed in a time of need. (Proteins needed to be ended?) There pretty dangerous and they do things to the biosphere of a planet benifical to us but if left to their own devices what is the intended result? perhaps the proteins gone out of control and infected system killers creators planets. System killer wasn't designated to show mercy for after all it was a time of need ;)

Need for what? Win a war?
or wining = hope for continued existence?

I'm pretty sure the SK was developed to fight the locusts. I remember a quote from Erinys from someone's game where they had locust hives and multiple SKs, and she said something like this is what the final war looked like.
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:22 am

I believe it the SK is simply the product of a people who climbed the technology trees of Engineering and Energy Weapons, rather than Xenology and Political science. To a tribesman a machinegun might appear a doomsday machine that one would only deploy in great need, since it can kill his entire tribe in less than a minute. However in truth in more developed forms of warfare it is a lesser, mass produced instrument of death. The ancients obviously wielded far greater power than any SOTS Empire even with every last technology researched: perhaps the system killer is merely their idea of a leviathan, or even a dreadnaught.

tericc

Post by tericc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Probably but I doubt it. A culture that old its probably a destroyer or cruiser class at the most and just as you said mass produced. We think nukes are super weapons but in truth they are as well mass produced. How many times can we destroy the earth over?
Now if this same race produced something that was = to their power there wouldn't be anything left for the current "new guys on the block" civilizations to be. Just like we can build a single bomb that that can blow the crust off our planet and the explosion will still be expanding.
The race that produced the SK and who ever they where fighting in their prime probably make the sulka look like village idiots.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 pm

I say nay. :lol:

If it was a mass produced ship type there'd be more of it, and wreckages of others and LOTS of already dead planets.
Instead there's one, automated; planet eating ship. It just couldn't have been an ordinary battleship, not because of how advanced it is but because of what it does and how it works.

tericc

Post by tericc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 am

Aedrion wrote:I say nay. :lol:

If it was a mass produced ship type there'd be more of it, and wreckages of others and LOTS of already dead planets.
Instead there's one, automated; planet eating ship. It just couldn't have been an ordinary battleship, not because of how advanced it is but because of what it does and how it works.

Perhaps it was a mass produced ship and there was lots of them but the conflict they where in, the enemy so vast it did not matter in the end. The SK you see now is all that's left :shock:

maybe...

All I'm saying is that it is almost impossible to know how big or small the civilization is that created the SK currently there's no historical research tree to find the answers. No random planets with not an old but an ancient city that we can mine for information. You could be right that the SK is the one and only "the few the proud" but there also could have been hundreds of them if not more
if the creators of SK where truly old (as the proteins are) this is truly frighting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:10 am

my guess is, the system killer is the product of a uber-star-cold-wars, where some maniac pressed the button. when it was damaged during he killed his target planet, its survival rutines kicke in and he ate the next best planet: the planet of the morons wo build it. so, there is no evidence left who had build him and why.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 am

The system killer doesn't eat planets; it eats stars. The fact that there aren't any planets left in the immediate location after the system killer does its things is a completely foreseeable consequence of the planets losing their center of gravity. It doesn't care about your planets; it just want the chewy center of your system. I for one am more suspicious about the fact that the Von Neumans have the plans for a System Killer in their databanks.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 am

usermist2 wrote:... I for one am more suspicious about the fact that the Von Neumans have the plans for a System Killer in their databanks.

... now. They have the plans now. IIRC, the VN's adapted and copied the SK plans, but did not always have them.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:48 pm

erdrik wrote:
usermist2 wrote:... I for one am more suspicious about the fact that the Von Neumans have the plans for a System Killer in their databanks.

... now. They have the plans now. IIRC, the VN's adapted and copied the SK plans, but did not always have them.

They're expert Scavengers and recourse stealers, it's highly likely they either scavenged a SK wreckage or stumbled upon a world that is somehow related to the SK. =)

sob

Post by sob » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Aedrion wrote:I say nay. :lol:

The entire sots unversis is only one small part of the arm of the milky way. The empier that built the SK would have been a lot bigger. So there may be more of them and thining even worse.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Return to “The Lore”