Who built the system killer? And Why?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

erdrik

Re: Who built the system killer? And Why?

Post by erdrik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:54 am

Aedrion wrote:
erdrik wrote:
usermist2 wrote:... I for one am more suspicious about the fact that the Von Neumans have the plans for a System Killer in their databanks.

... now. They have the plans now. IIRC, the VN's adapted and copied the SK plans, but did not always have them.

They're expert Scavengers and recourse stealers, it's highly likely they either scavenged a SK wreckage or stumbled upon a world that is somehow related to the SK. =)

umm k. Im not saying anything about exactly how or where they got them. Just that they didn't always have them.
Usermist2's post implied a suspicion suggesting otherwise...

firestrike

Post by firestrike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:28 pm

well at least who ever made that thing it's not like they have one that can end a game for everyone in one turn oh wait never mind i never said anything :lol:

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:01 pm

If there's only one system killer, then where did they find a wreckage of one? The System Killer's home planet was destroyed during that great Final War when it was created.(Or something like that.) So the question remains: how did the VN get the plans for a SK? The VN are not legitimate AI. They are not imaginative, they cannot come up with new ideas. They ALWAYS had the plans for a SK ripoff in their databanks.

Until the SotS races got close enough to a production center, however, it couldn't increase hostilities properly. The VN was programmed with the Map, Send better mappers if first try fails, delete protocol. But without a production base, its response capabilities are more limited.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Sparky was copied by the VNs because he was an efficient solution to a problem (you and other well-armed sentients), he could've entered a system the VNs were mapping and they scanned him. I doubt they could've taken him down without swarming him, and that would've been an inefficient use of resources. Far better to scan and learn from a distance and use the info to make VonSparky. Over and over again.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:43 am

usermist2 wrote:If there's only one system killer
More than one almost certainly exist.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:34 am

Sevain wrote:

There would have to be, a race capable of building Sparky shouldn't have had a problem stomping an enemy into the ground unless they too could build Sparkies or something pretty damned close.

moonsilver

Post by moonsilver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 am

The bentusi in Homeworld were unbound and did not need or colonise planets. So if your enemy needs planets and you don't except for giant asteroid fields.

A planet destroying weapon actualy sounds like a perfectly good idea. We might be thinking of a war on a scale between two galaxies.

Maybe they believe in the theory that the universe has too much mass and will crush itself together into a giant blackhole one day, and in order to save the universe from this destruction we must destroy as much mass as possible.

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:55 am

I think, that by the time they get to the "planet destroying" capabilities, they'll figure out that mass of one big chunk of matter and same matter in many smaller chunks is same.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:26 am

MrBoom wrote:
Sevain wrote:

There would have to be, a race capable of building Sparky shouldn't have had a problem stomping an enemy into the ground unless they too could build Sparkies or something pretty damned close.

Puppetmaster?

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:24 am

Goomich wrote:I think, that by the time they get to the "planet destroying" capabilities, they'll figure out that mass of one big chunk of matter and same matter in many smaller chunks is same.

Sparky doesn't destroy planets; he destroys STARS. Good luck finding the planets when they're randomly flying in different directions through space like overly large meteors.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 pm

usermist2 wrote:
Goomich wrote:I think, that by the time they get to the "planet destroying" capabilities, they'll figure out that mass of one big chunk of matter and same matter in many smaller chunks is same.

Sparky doesn't destroy planets; he destroys STARS. Good luck finding the planets when they're randomly flying in different directions through space like overly large meteors.

Incorrect. He destroys the planets before destroying the stars. Interestingly enough he seems to leave asteroid belts alone. :)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Too dispersed to be worth bothering with, I imagine. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Starknight wrote:
usermist2 wrote:

Incorrect. He destroys the planets before destroying the stars. Interestingly enough he seems to leave asteroid belts alone. :)

In fairness, he;d be there all day if he had to blow up asteroids too, I'd imagine a planet post-sparky looks a little bit like an asteroid belt..

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:01 pm

usermist2 wrote:

Oh in that case... it's even worse, because helium's nucleus is lighter than 2 hydrogens'.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 pm

ZedF wrote:Too dispersed to be worth bothering with, I imagine. ;)

Heh. Well, the inspiration for Sparky sliced up planets with 'a beam of pure anti-protons, absolutely pure' in order to 'devour' the chunks. Sparky could probably spend a turn flying around and eating up the free meal, but it's not a big deal. :)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Return to “The Lore”