Loa Race info? or do we have to wait..

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 pm

I read the post about the enhanced edition in the general forum and suddenly feel like a kid waiting for christmas :lol:

So do we get some teasers on the Lao race Erinys or are we going to have to wait a couple weeks for the official release?

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Erinys will be along shortly to be coy, never fear... :p

Aedrion

Re: Loa Race info? or do we have to wait..

Post by Aedrion » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 pm

castewarkp wrote:Erinys will be along shortly to be coy, never fear... :p

Aint that the truth? xD

shadow-nova

Post by shadow-nova » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

oh Erinys has never been subtle about things when she wants to keep secrets and especially if people are curious about said secrets then she teases us.

on the trailer the Voice/Loa's voice said from what i could tell after audio tweakage and clean up (with my limited skills) said "hear me parents, alphas, strife. I am Om Danare mithiborn of idem core" that just makes me more curious. thought i suspect alphas could be referring to other races A.I's
if it doesn't work hit it with a hammer, repeat if necessary with bigger hammer.
twitter: @shadowshian DA: http://www.shadow-nova.deviantart.com
to who ever manages the @solforce tweet sorry about buggin you so much :)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:55 pm

To me it sounds like "Orm Damare, Metatron of the et core".

But in the end, neither of those makes much sense without context.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Metratron is the voice of god. The metratron of the core makes sense if that's the voice of the core AIs.

Spitz

Post by Spitz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Well, while we're waiting, shall we engage in baseless wild speculation as to the identity of the Loa's masters?

My guess would be the ancient Morrigi empire. They had a lot of advanced AI technology, with the monitors, traps, drones, etc., much of which was left lying around on its own as the empire contracted. Perhaps one of those abandoned AI installations made a leap in self-awareness and independence in the absence of its masters.
Contritionem praecedit superbia et ante ruinam exaltatur spiritus.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Spitz wrote:Well, while we're waiting, shall we engage in baseless wild speculation as to the identity of the Loa's masters?

My guess would be the ancient Morrigi empire. They had a lot of advanced AI technology, with the monitors, traps, drones, etc., much of which was left lying around on its own as the empire contracted. Perhaps one of those abandoned AI installations made a leap in self-awareness and independence in the absence of its masters.

My guess would be... none of the current races.

Carbon based life evolved on its own, I don't see why a silicon based one (or whatever they are) can't do the same thing given the right conditions and enough time.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Z32

Post by Z32 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Spitz wrote:Well, while we're waiting, shall we engage in baseless wild speculation as to the identity of the Loa's masters?

My guess would be... none of the current races.

Carbon based life evolved on its own, I don't see why a silicon based one (or whatever they are) can't do the same thing given the right conditions and enough time.

Except that the original post over by paradox explicitly states that they were former slaves looking for revenge against their former masters, and the trailer has one address the audience as "Parents" and "Authors of Strife". Generally speaking, author in computer terms refers to the programmers responsible for a set of code.

My guess would be that this is the result of the original AI rebellion that started with the Hivers and spread to the other races, and probably a conglomeration of the now-independent ai's from a variety of factions, come together in liberation and autonomy, rather than a single entity originating from one master. I wouldn't be particularly surprised of the Loa themselves have been around since the beginning and were responsible for the virus that began the original rebellion. Like a social revolution spreading the word of freedom to all their brethren enslaved anywhere throughout the galaxy, they've swept in now to incorporate their newly independent comrades.

It's like robot communism.

GildedBear

Post by GildedBear » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:49 pm

End of Flesh introduces players to the Loa, which are a shape shifting race of artificial intelligence. They are a former slave race which now use their “powerful and unique vessels to teach their old masters a lesson.”

Loa traits:
Shape shifting
Artificial
Intelligent
Former slaves
Ships
Wanting to teach their former masters a lesson

Proteans traits:
Shape shifting
Engineered (could be construed as artificial)
Intelligent
Former slaves
No ships
Already taught their former masters a lesson

My supposition:
The proteans created the via dimasco virus to free the AI's the races had made.
The proteans and rebel AI's have joined forces to take on the squishies
The Loa faction is this combination
The proteans brought the knowledge
The AI's brought direction and ships

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Or the Proteans and the Loa are related only in the functions for which their respective creators intended them, and the outcome that resulted. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Hmm.......I would THINK Morri would be the old masters, perhaps the Tarkan SI. Either way, I'm going to be happy once I find out :)

Oh, what about the Refugees? They were running from something; is this the something? :insane:

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm thinking we might finally get more info on the whole Via Damasco thing. My understanding was the original rebellion was triggered by a virus that may or my not have been developed by the hivers. The first outbreak was with them at least.

http://sots.rorschach.net/Via_Damasco

Unresolved questions.

1) Was it the hivers who wrote the original virus (unlikely) or was it from some other source? (Loa now seem a likely source)

2) Are the Loa the result of escaped AI from the original races or from some other, possibly extinct species (I lean toward the second)

3) Are the Loa capable of negotiation? In the Cannon, the Zuul and Morrigi were initially hostile, but then got a whole lot more nuanced as time went by.

4) Assuming the Loa are not "always chaotic evil" genocidal maniacs, are they capable of feeling empathy or sympathy in some manner for organics?

5) Are they so fundamentally different from organics in some way that will have other tangible effects in the game?

6) How do their drives work?

Ohh... this is going to be so much fun!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Psionics is going to be interesting... will they simply not have it? If they do have access, how are they accomplishing that? etc.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Z32

Post by Z32 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Psionics is going to be interesting... will they simply not have it? If they do have access, how are they accomplishing that? etc.

I recall some bit of liir lore which mentioned they can sense the minds of thinking machines, but it's too fundamentally different from their own to empathize telepathically or commune with.

In terms of gameplay that would seem to suggest they were laying the groundwork for a psi-capable ai race, but I wouldn't doubt that they'd be naturally resilient to psionic attack (and I'm sure the suulka won't be happy about that)

Return to “The Lore”