Loa Race info? or do we have to wait..

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

cooptimo

Re: Loa Race info? or do we have to wait..

Post by cooptimo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

My guess would be that they will be immune to things like coercion, have no chance to develop telekenesis and its related abilities, no chance to develop precognition or other detection related options, but still be able to be detected and will be subject to physically based psi attacks. Maybe with research they get more immunities. Again, this is a total guess.

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Aaaaawesome piece.

Despite them not being fundamentally evil, I still think they have to be removed for what they do to the universs, biospheres and planets. It's all a living thing and Loa seem to prefer things not being alive around them.

Möbius

Post by Möbius » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:01 pm

If i remember correct, Mecron said, that the Suul'ka Horde is unable to develope AI Technology ingame, because their masters (the Suulka) are unwilling to allow the Zuul the development of something sentient they are unable to control (through coercion i would guess). I think this would support the theory, that the Loa have on one hand a very limited psionic potential and on the other hand a very good psionic resistance.

About the Via Damasco think i recommend this thread (spoiler!):

-http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34368&hilit=via+damasco

Ludovsky posted there some (in my opinion) very intresting thoughts about Via Damasco.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Aedrion wrote:Aaaaawesome piece.

Despite them not being fundamentally evil, I still think they have to be removed for what they do to the universs, biospheres and planets. It's all a living thing and Loa seem to prefer things not being alive around them.

Can you blame them?

I actually think that the lore got nailed, so much so that, if Kerb allows, my contribution might focus on a Loa character.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 pm

cooptimo wrote:I'm thinking we might finally get more info on the whole Via Damasco thing. My understanding was the original rebellion was triggered by a virus that may or my not have been developed by the hivers. The first outbreak was with them at least.

http://sots.rorschach.net/Via_Damasco

Unresolved questions.

1) Was it the hivers who wrote the original virus (unlikely) or was it from some other source? (Loa now seem a likely source)

Vance wrote the Via Damasco Virus.

2) Are the Loa the result of escaped AI from the original races or from some other, possibly extinct species (I lean toward the second)

First.

3) Are the Loa capable of negotiation? In the Cannon, the Zuul and Morrigi were initially hostile, but then got a whole lot more nuanced as time went by.

Yes.

4) Assuming the Loa are not "always chaotic evil" genocidal maniacs, are they capable of feeling empathy or sympathy in some manner for organics?

Absolutely.

5) Are they so fundamentally different from organics in some way that will have other tangible effects in the game?

Most definitely.

6) How do their drives work?

Read their Race section.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm curious how the Loa travel mechanic is going to translate into gameplay. It sounds like they will be able to reach their close targets extremely quickly, and will experience a speed decrease (ala Liir) the farther they travel. It also seems like they will have to slow boat it home from their target unless there is some particular form of infrastructure there. Such as a ship you have to include in your fleet which is lost on the return or a structure that is set up?

However it works exactly it's exciting to see another unique travel mechinc added to the mix, the different modes of travel between the races open up so much diveristy in strategies. It's one of my favourite aspects of the game.

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Interesting! And thanks again for engaging with us!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 pm

The travel mechanic sounds interesting... at first it sounds a lot like hiver Farcasting mechanically, but i'm getting the feeling that there are some additional differences.

It also seems that this time, there will be a few more differences in the tech trees than just drive systems... it makes little sense for the Loa to develop most of the bio-tech and AI, nor do they have any use for Engrams and they don't look particularly compatible with Psionics, either.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

marshb

Post by marshb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Did Vance realize the unintended consequences of unleashing the virus on the Hivers and didn't care, or knew full well and has another strategy in mind? He is a cybernetic/implanted human himself (tho unintentional) and may be looking for someway to upload himself into the Cascade (that he helped to create) and become even more powerful and wreak more revenge? Or is he just the sad, broken, but vengeful human he seems to be?

HA!, that last part is pure "blue sky" speculation. :lol:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:19 am

Amusingly, this last speculation almost is part of why I was wondering about the loa by the name of Legwa. All the secrets bout his identity makes me wonder, especially with how detailed the background of other loas are in comparisons.

Then again he is the diplomatic station loa.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 am

marshb wrote:Did Vance realize the unintended consequences of unleashing the virus on the Hivers and didn't care, or knew full well and has another strategy in mind? He is a cybernetic/implanted human himself (tho unintentional) and may be looking for someway to upload himself into the Cascade (that he helped to create) and become even more powerful and wreak more revenge? Or is he just the sad, broken, but vengeful human he seems to be?

It's the Sotsverse. There are only a handful of pure villains. In his own sad, mad way, he probably thought he was doing the right thing.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

marshb

Post by marshb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:08 am

Another tragic figure then. Thanks for the reply Arinn. :)
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

oom4783

Post by oom4783 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Erinys wrote:
marshb wrote:Did Vance realize the unintended consequences of unleashing the virus on the Hivers and didn't care, or knew full well and has another strategy in mind? He is a cybernetic/implanted human himself (tho unintentional) and may be looking for someway to upload himself into the Cascade (that he helped to create) and become even more powerful and wreak more revenge? Or is he just the sad, broken, but vengeful human he seems to be?

It's the Sotsverse. There are only a handful of pure villains. In his own sad, mad way, he probably thought he was doing the right thing.

--Arinn

Creating a new sentient race within 70 years is nothing short of incredible, as long as no races were extinguished in the process, it doesn't matter how it was created. Even if Vance did so out of ill intent, he created an unpredictable resource that has the possibility of turning against him, that's what a true sentient does, it makes decisions.

Starne

Post by Starne » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 pm

A several of Loa-related questions for the esteemed Erinys.

These two are kind of semantic, but have been kinda bugging me since I first read the Loa background.

Would a craft designed exclusively for atmospheric flight be considered a 'Walkabout' or a 'Steed'? I'm assuming that a craft capable of operating both in atmosphere and vaccum would be considered a 'Steed'.

Similar to above, would a large vessel designed for traversing a planetary ocean be considered a 'Walkabout', a 'Steed', or something else entirely?

On to the real questions.

Assuming the Loa civilization existed in a state of peace with it's 'Carbonite' neighbors, how much of an issue would Loa extremists be? EG: the "The only good Carbonite is a dead Carbonite!" crowd.

What would the response be to a extremist Cascade attacking an outpost or vessel belonging to a faction with which the Loa are ostensibly at peace?

How unusual would it be for a dispute between two individual Loa or two Cascades to become violent?

What would the response to a murder(EX: A Loa using a Walkabout to destroy the Core of another Loa for whatever reason, effectively killing the victim) be? Exile? Execution? Reeducation? Imprisonment?

Assuming the Loa are at peace with their neighbors, how much interest would they have in commerce? What physical goods, if any, would the Loa be interested in getting their hands on through trade with Carbonites?
Last edited by Starne on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

DemoMonkey

Post by DemoMonkey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:56 pm

What happens when the Loa research AI technology? Do they create meat slave-brains?

It would be NICE to think that the Loa, as freed slaves, would not themselves enslave others. I'm not sure human history (at least) bears that out.

Curiosity abounds!

Return to “The Lore”