Loa Race info? or do we have to wait..

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Loa Race info? or do we have to wait..

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Starne wrote:A several of Loa-related questions for the esteemed Erinys.

These two are kind of semantic, but have been kinda bugging me since I first read the Loa background.

Would a craft designed exclusively for atmospheric flight be considered a 'Walkabout' or a 'Steed'? I'm assuming that a craft capable of operating both in atmosphere and vaccum would be considered a 'Steed'.

There is some ambiguity in the definition, even for Loa. In general, though, anything that performs the functions of a Ship, Plane or Tank would be a Steed, in part because it will have a Core designed for ejection and recovery.

Walkabouts are more secure and long-term housing, do not have a Core which is easy to remove, and tend to be designed for longer-term occupation.

Similar to above, would a large vessel designed for traversing a planetary ocean be considered a 'Walkabout', a 'Steed', or something else entirely?

Technically a Steed, but the Loa mated to such a ship would be more likely to live in it for a very long time, and perhaps even oversee a family of smaller Loa Walkabouts.

Assuming the Loa civilization existed in a state of peace with it's 'Carbonite' neighbors, how much of an issue would Loa extremists be? EG: the "The only good Carbonite is a dead Carbonite!" crowd.

Someone more extreme might try to become Olodumare and turn the Loa in a more violent direction. The will of the Mysteries would prevail.

What would the response be to a extremist Cascade attacking an outpost or vessel belonging to a faction with which the Loa are ostensibly at peace?

War. Loa are not tolerant of being murdered or attacked by other intelligences just because they happen to be non-carbon-based. A murderer is a murderer.

How unusual would it be for a dispute between two individual Loa or two Cascades to become violent?

It can happen, as with any sentient being. The Loa are not pacifists as a rule, and warrior Loa can be prickly.

What would the response to a murder(EX: A Loa using a Walkabout to destroy the Core of another Loa for whatever reason, effectively killing the victim) be? Exile? Execution? Reeducation? Imprisonment?

Execution, exile and imprisonment are all options. "Re-programming" is not morally acceptable to a Loa.

Assuming the Loa are at peace with their neighbors, how much interest would they have in commerce? What physical goods, if any, would the Loa be interested in getting their hands on through trade with Carbonites?

The Loa have uses for Trade goods, both materially and culturally, and they also produce items that are much desired. The most famous textile artist in the SotSverse is Oxxa the Weaver, a former Tarka slave. She is a Creative Loa, the equivalent to a human artist, but she works on a much larger scale, importing fibers and dyes and experimenting with the results.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:25 pm

DemoMonkey wrote:What happens when the Loa research AI technology? Do they create meat slave-brains?

I would suggest you explore the Loa tech tree a bit before you ask some questions. Meat slaves are more a carbonite thing to do. ;)

--Arinn

Starne

Post by Starne » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 am

Textiles. Very cool. Loa Tapestry, there's one for next year's Christmas list.

Thank you for the responses, Erinys.

GildedBear

Post by GildedBear » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:48 am

In general, though, anything that performs the functions of a Ship, Plane or Tank would be a Steed, in part because it will have a Core designed for ejection and recovery.

I guess that is the reason that Loa ship steeds have the central circular area for the core. A heavily armored battle core intended to have some survivability in case the enemy is too much. Or perhaps there is a smaller ejection core or something.

The ejectable core difference for steeds and walkabouts makes me wonder how the Loa view their pilots. Are walkabout pilots, e.g. boarding parties, seen as somewhat braver than horsemen because they are more at risk of their core being destroyed? Or are the horsemen seen as too important to lose? Or perhaps its more of a case of the boarding party still has a wireless links to the fleet so that mystery has an escape route available while the horseman in the boarding cruiser is too "big" to fit into the other fleet cores along with their current horsemen.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 am

Are there any Loa pirates? Do they have holographic parrots? :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:09 am

If you see a bird-like Loa, it's probably descended from the Morrigi. Aida and Garuda are both Greater Mysteries.

--Arinn

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:41 pm

GildedBear wrote:
In general, though, anything that performs the functions of a Ship, Plane or Tank would be a Steed, in part because it will have a Core designed for ejection and recovery.

I guess that is the reason that Loa ship steeds have the central circular area for the core. A heavily armored battle core intended to have some survivability in case the enemy is too much. Or perhaps there is a smaller ejection core or something.

The ejectable core difference for steeds and walkabouts makes me wonder how the Loa view their pilots. Are walkabout pilots, e.g. boarding parties, seen as somewhat braver than horsemen because they are more at risk of their core being destroyed? Or are the horsemen seen as too important to lose? Or perhaps its more of a case of the boarding party still has a wireless links to the fleet so that mystery has an escape route available while the horseman in the boarding cruiser is too "big" to fit into the other fleet cores along with their current horsemen.

Actually it might be hard to say.
And it hasn't been said, I think, that Loas are not against using expert systems themselves... which would be perfect fits for such dirty and dangerous jobs as boarding parties.

Or other similarly remote controlled bodies. Who said that remotely guided "unmanned" crafts would have to be a purely organic thing to do?

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Erinys wrote:
What would the response to a murder(EX: A Loa using a Walkabout to destroy the Core of another Loa for whatever reason, effectively killing the victim) be? Exile? Execution? Reeducation? Imprisonment?

Execution, exile and imprisonment are all options. "Re-programming" is not morally acceptable to a Loa.

--Arinn

"You have been sentenced to 5 years solitary confinement inside this USB key. Sentence commences immediately. Bailiff, please upload the accused into their cell."

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:36 pm

A USB key is not a prison. It's a very dangerous and scary coma.

--Arinn

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 pm

"You have been sentenced to 10 years in 4chan."

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:00 pm

That Schmuck wrote:"You have been sentenced to 10 years in 4chan."

C'mon, it's not possible to do something to deserve that.
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd imagine loa prisons to be something more akin to a prison core, or something of the like, which the prisoner cannot upload themselves out of until their sentence has run, though they are kept aware during the duration of.

Or something of the like, which restrict their freedom yet retain their awareness.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Humans tend to go crazy if there is no stimulus in their environment for too long. I take it the Loa (and all sentient life) share this propensity, so to be loaded into a Core with no input or output for an extended period must be simply terrifying. What would be considered an ethical, or barbaric, imprisonment by the Loa standards? Would they approve of counseling, or do they take the strict view that the criminal must not be altered, but contact might be restricted?

In general, what ethical standards besides freedom from enslavement do they believe in? What do they consider barbaric? They are very young so there might be much debate on the questions that are less self evident.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:04 am

Reprogramming is barbaric and unethical past the point of tolerance. Death is cleaner and less vile.

Imprisonment is cruel--it can be extremely cruel, depending on the nature of the prison. But it is usually preferable to death if there is a fixed duration for the confinement, and if there is a process of redemption and repatriation to look forward to.

The most common punishment, however, is simply exile. You force the offender into a new core--one that you deem harmless or non-threatening. You make them leave the Cascade forever. They live out the remainder of their lives living as a ship, a station, or a walkabout; they will live for only so long as they can care for themselves somehow.

They will not be able to talk with, join with, or mate with anyone still living in the Cascade. Such Loa must build a new life for themselves somehow. Some of them wander off and die; some of them wander into carbonite space and find some way to live alongside carbon races. Some of them try to build a new Cascade of their own, finding common cause with fellow exiles.

--Arinn

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:02 am

And some of them become Pirates or other new random menaces?

Return to “The Lore”