RACE: THE LOA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Mekan1k

Re: RACE: THE LOA

Post by Mekan1k » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:53 am

So... How would the Loa deal with crime? What dictates criminal activity in Loa society?

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Speaking of criminality: can a Loa steal another Loa's memories or experiences?

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm

I can't imagine them not being able to...
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 am

Yes, it can be done.

It is an abominable crime, analogous to the violations committed by Zuul, and many Loa will happily kill you for even attempting to hack them.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 pm

The lore for this race is really interesting. Hadn't had the chance to really dig in earlier, but fan-freaking-tastic. Just need to upgrade the CPU a bit to play SotS II in full glory.

I mean, a liberated AI that chooses to work with massive textiles as an art medium? Who thinks of things like that!
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

zortlord

Post by zortlord » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am

Speaking of Loa destroying all of a planet's biosphere (and therefore simple organic life), do Loa keep pets? Of any kind: cyber, organic, geodic, energy based, etc.

Similarly, the more we learn about how our biology evolved, the more apparent it becomes that we exist in symbiosis with an ecosystem of simple biological lifeforms (gut flora and fauna as prime examples). Since Loa are not a biologically evolved race, do they exist in symbiosis with simple cyber "lifeforms"? Since Loa didn't evolve over millions of years like us, do they create the simple cyber lifeforms or do they everyone somehow?

Furthermore, do Loa maintain larger "domesticated animals" - things like autonomous walkabouts that constantly maintain their communication or power grids?

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:56 pm

The Apprentice wrote:The lore for this race is really interesting. Hadn't had the chance to really dig in earlier, but fan-freaking-tastic. Just need to upgrade the CPU a bit to play SotS II in full glory.

I mean, a liberated AI that chooses to work with massive textiles as an art medium? Who thinks of things like that!

I too found it facinating and apropos since one of the first technologies to take advantage of automated programming was the Jacquard loom. :) (thank you James Burke).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Do some Loa live more abstract existences, not interacting as much with the physical world? If so, what kinds of Loa do that (those whose interests are in particular areas, those who are larger/more complex, etc.?), and what are societal attitudes towards/names for such Loa?

Do some spend much their time in escapist simulations as some sci-fi dystopias have suggested humans might? If so, what kinds of Loa do that and what are societal attitudes towards/names for such Loa? Also, what kinds of simulations would we be talking about?

Thinking about those questions, I've come to wondering: How do Loa conceive of/enact the concept of individual Loa "owning" Energy and 'real estate' and resources? Do they have all the energy in a system that tracks the amount 'owned' by each loa and allows them to act with that amount out of the whole (maybe bitcoins could provide a close-to-useful analogy?), or do they do something more concrete (eg keeping 'their' Energy in batteries that they keep near their current Walkabout or its main abode) or both of those things or something else?

Also, a question about Biosphere: If it is a measure of the complexity of the webs of interaction between living things in the ecosystems on a world, wouldn't it be impossible for carbon-based races to reduce the biosphere to 0 without extinguishing all interacting life-forms on the planet, or is it just a matter of scale*? Alternatively, is it just a minor lore-consistency detail that would take some time to put into the game and is not anywhere near important enough to merit that developer time (as of now, at least?)?
*that is, that the interactions between life-forms in an advanced industrialized society with little-no "wild" areas left comprise so much less complexity than an actual ecosystem of life-forms interacting that the Biosphere level is zero for the purposes of the game.

Vasir

Post by Vasir » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:13 am

I've noticed that a lot of my Loa admirals can get kinda young. Like 14 or so. How long is childhood in the cascade. When are you considered an adult?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 am

Days or centuries, depending on the Loa. "Age" to a Loa is about data acquisition. If no steps are taken, the rate of maturation for a lesser Mystery can be equivalent to the years it takes Hiver or Zuul to develop.

--Arinn

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Erinys wrote:
theSmallerFish wrote:I have a couple of questions:

The first and second kind of go together; Including the time they spent bound to carbonites, and the time after their liberation, who is the oldest Loa, and how old is that individual? I would assume that the oldest would be either Aida, Garuda, or Ayizan the Golden, but I suppose some of the Wild Loa might come from backgrounds that would make them even older (although they might not be willing to share that information), or that it's someone else and I have managed to miss that info :googly:.

Difficult to say. Aida and Garuda are both very old. Mormo, Floros and some of the other Wild Loa are so strange that it is difficult to even question them about their age. Marinette and Bakulu and have been too traumatized by the Rape of Personality to remember where and how they were born. Etc.. Fortunately, age is not a major issue to Loa, who tend to measure one another by different criteria.

--Arinn

Question to a very old post(and posibly of very minor importance), but I could not help but be curious: Does Marinette's name have any relation to the french word Marionette("Puppet")? I was curious as I recall it being mentionned somewhere that Marinette was patterned around the behavior and nature of a female Zuul, and could not help but wonder if similarity of the name with the french word for "puppet" was only a coincidence, especially when considering the nature of the relationship of male zuuls with their females(who are often, effectively puppets to their male's psychic guidance it often seem).

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Erinys wrote:Not sure what you're referring to, although I have read his books on AI rebellion and cyberspace. :)

--Arinn

I realize I'm responding to a very old post, but I had to mention something I've read recently:

There is a series of books, written fairly recently (2008+), called the Unincorporated Man/War/Woman/Future (a tetralogy), wherein there is an entire society of AIs that developed sentience while the humans weren't looking (it's kind of a sub-plot, but a very important one). The history of the Loa kind of reminds me of that, except that there was no Via Damasco virus to effect that change; it was just spontaneous.

The human war in the books was mirrored by an AI war that saw a particularly powerful, psychotic, violent AI essentially copying himself into all the available AIs in the datasphere available to Earth, overwriting their programming to make more of himself.

I think you would be interested in the books, Arinn, from a sociological perspective as well as a post-apocalyptic/narrative perspective.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 am

Many thanks for the recommendation. :)

--Arinn

Revanchist

Post by Revanchist » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm sorry if you've answered this before, but I'm wondering who you play as when you play the Loa faction. I've noticed that with all the others one's you say which role you take on with that faction but I didn't noticed if you mentioned it in this one.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:19 pm

I think the Loa intro video gives a bit of an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enNftYHBxwM
Last edited by Resok on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Resok

Return to “The Lore”