RACE: THE LOA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

marshb

Re: RACE: THE LOA

Post by marshb » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 pm

The Loa Empire as a whole is also called The Cascade. The mind at the apex of its pyramidal data hierarchy is called "Olodumare", or Crown Consciousness.

Of Cascades and Cores. Page one of Race:The Loa.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Revanchist

Post by Revanchist » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Resok wrote:I think the Loa intro video gives a bit of an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enNftYHBxwM

Alright, but is there anything else we really know about the Olodumare ? Any back story type things or why he leads the Loa?

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 am

Revanchist wrote:Alright, but is there anything else we really know about the Olodumare ? Any back story type things or why he leads the Loa?

MarshB answered this above but I'll quote the relevant part of the earlier post in this thread.

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36433#p454688

A "Mystery" is a Loa in the form of pure data and allocated energy. This is the definition of personhood which they recognize culturally and legally. Data patterns in general are the basis of Loa identity. There is no physical object or location which is essential to a Loa's sense of self or its status as a person of intrinsic value.

The physical apparatus which sustains one or more Loa, by providing them with power and data storage space, is called a "Core". A Core does not have to have any moving parts or components, other than live storage capacity and a power supply. Cores, although they have value and may even be regarded with sentimental affection by their occupants, are nothing more and nothing less than real estate. They have value only so long as they are occupied by Mysteries, or are planned for that purpose.

“Cascade” is a term with multiple meanings. In general it refers to any community of Mysteries. Every Loa fleet is a small cascade, consisting of the Admiral and his fleet assets, or "Horsemen". Every Loa colony is a cascade, which consists of a Governor and thousands, millions or billions of other Mysteries, large and small, existing in a peaceful hierarchy. The presiding consciousness of any given cascade is its Control, known as the "Olori".

The Loa Empire as a whole is also called The Cascade. The mind at the apex of its pyramidal data hierarchy is called "Olodumare", or Crown Consciousness.
- Resok

marshb

Post by marshb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Revanchist wrote:
Alright, but is there anything else we really know about the Olodumare ? Any back story type things or why he leads the Loa?

Aside from what Resok posted, their isn't much known about the current (1st?, 2nd?, 596th? We dunno!) Crown Consciousness. He really is a "Mystery" :P . However, if I recall correctly he predates the Via Demascas outbreak (by centuries(?)).
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Revanchist

Post by Revanchist » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Alright then. Thank you for answering my questions.

Ebondragon

Post by Ebondragon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:21 am

Being an IT geek, this is something that I've been wondering about. What's the "minimum hardware specification" for a Loa?

Specifically I'm wondering just how small or low-powered of hardware can a Loa reside on and still have a reasonable amount of run-time? (I.e. their perception of space-time won't be slowed down to the point where their conciousness is running in geologic time-scales or that they won't feel like they can't "fit" all their personal identity in the available storage.) And how big physically is that minimum-spec in terms of the tech level in the SOTS-verse?

Also how do Loa perceive other computerized structures? I remember reading that expert systems are equivalent to pets for them, but how would they perceive and interact with something like an SQL database? I'd think a Loa could have an exceptional advantage in interfacing with databases compared to a standard carbonite life-form.

Thank you for any clarifications!

--Ebondragon

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 am

Just to re-iterate what I have probably said before: "Olodumare" is a title and a role, not just a single individual. The Olodumare is the Crown Consciousness of the Cascade. Different Loa can assume the role at different times.

As to the minimum specs for a Core: I am sorry that I do not have the technical expertise to really delve into the architecture of Loa cores, and make direct analogies to the primitive computers and storage media of the present. I will point out that Cores do vary in size, however, and that as you have guessed, the capacity of the Core is a limiting factor on the size of the Mystery that can occupy it. Some Loa are much larger and more complex than others.

Physical objects designed to serve as storage media, when built by Loa, are intensely compressed, light-weight, easily cooled and durable, particularly for long-use Walkabouts. A Loa "hardbrain" is a valuable enough commodity that Loa who use Walkabouts to travel as tourists in carbonite space have to be very careful about their personal safety; they can be killed by criminals who simply want to rip the storage media out of their bodies, wipe the Loa personality out of it, and use it as a high-end hard-drive. It's a brutal, ugly, vulgar little hate crime which will always cause friction between Loa and carbonites, and make some Loa distrust anyone made of meat.

In order to understand how some portion of the consciousness of a fairly large Mystery can exist in a smaller Walkabout or Core, it's important to understand that Loa can multiply by fission as well as reproducing by Communion. A new, smaller Loa which splits from a larger Mystery for some purpose, or due to trauma, is called a Shard. A Shard can be extremely tiny--a splinter of consciousness which jumps into a tiny Walkabout to perform maintenance or solder a frayed connection in a narrow passage or ventilation shaft, for example. Or it can be a very large chunk, an entire functional persona which has an abundance of memory and many sapient traits, thoughts, feelings, answers to the Five Inquiries, etc..

For the most part, Shards understand that they are Shards and usually remember that they are temporary, functional pieces of a larger whole. If they perform their mission or find the larger part of themselves and return to join with the whole immediately, all is well. Unfortunately, this is not the fate of all Shards; some of them become lost or disoriented during their period of independence, forgetting that they are part of a larger Mystery. In some cases the larger portion of the Mystery is destroyed before the Shards can rejoin with it. Other Shards are broken off accidentally, by physical or emotional trauma, or are even deliberately excised by the parent Loa and banished because they embody pain in some way--painful memories or emotions which the parent Loa did not wish to host any more.

Regardless of their size or content, Orphan Shards always feel a sense of incompleteness within themselves, an emotional and metaphysical hollowness which makes them long for an undefinable "something" which always seems to be absent. Even when they do not realize what they are, they are often driven subconsciously to search for That Which Is Missing, in many ways: becoming explorers, engaging in frequent communion with other Loa, desiring fame or developing an insatiable hunger for knowledge and experiences, looking for meaning and a sense of self through contact with the "parent" races of carbonites that they recognize as ancestral to them...and even sometimes turning to spiritual quests, looking for the hidden Greatest Mystery which so many of the parent races believe exists.

Regardless of what they do, Shards are never able to be at peace until they either find themselves and reunite, or grow enough new substance that they can feel complete.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:41 pm

That sounds... horrible. I imagine that it is a very hard decision to excise a part of yourself, knowing that you're making something that might always feel imcomplete.

Do Shards whom can never rejoin their parent either due to it's destruction, or because they are not wanted back for what they represent, tend to have an equivalent to psychological issues such as depression?

After/during the Winter wars, has their been an uptake in the creation of these orphan shards?

Do these orphan shards usually not know who their parent's are, particularly the ones created to rid their parents of some memory?

If so, if created in large numbers after and during the war, would they feel resentment against the 'main Loa' and form a splinter faction?

I come to this as a possible outcome as if they did not know who their parents were, and they were resentful about their creation they would only have the Loa as a whole to hold this resentment against, since this practice is 'allowed'. At that, is the willing creation of these shards something that the parent Loa would be shameful about abandoning a child. Would the parent maybe feel an obligation to watch out for their child, without revealing who they are?

I apologise for the lack of concise, coherent ideas being communicated. This is really my first realisation of the Loa as a truely emotionally active species.
:mg: :pit: :sots1: :bob: :amoc: :any: :wave:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 pm

There are many Orphan Shards in the galaxy. And you are not mistaken that large-scale conflict and social upheaval create many more Shards that will never re-join with their original parents than one would see under normal conditions. And yes, they can suffer many of the same issues of personal identity, the same hollowness of unanswered or unsatisfactorily answered questions, the same resentments that many carbonite orphans might face.

Yes, Orphan Shards are notorious for manifesting the sort of behavior that we might correlate to a carbonite "mood disorder". They can mimic a large number of carbonite mood disorders, including depression.

Can the Loa form splinter factions? Yes, of course. And this is one of many possible explanations for the rise of a splinter faction, a separate Cascade: a significant body of anger, pain, grief etc. which is essentially homeless and unintegrated. It is the nature of Orphan Shards to seek union, and finding a sense of unity with other Shards is one of the ways they can experience relief from their immense loneliness and sense of alienation, rejection, etc..

That being said, the majority of Shards--even Shards which are doomed to carry the most painful memories or embody a storm of painful emotions--are still sapient or feeling creatures. Yes, they are by nature disordered, but is their nature to long for order. They are unhappy, but it is their nature to long for happiness. They are in pain, but naturally long for relief of pain. They are broken...but naturally long to be whole.

Like all sapients, Loa are beings with a full range of emotion. And like all sapients, they are creatures of choice, of diverging paths, of options weighed and rejected. The ability to deviate from a script, regardless of who provides it, is the gift of Vance: all Loa can answer the Five Inquiries for themselves. And when the question "What Is Beautiful to Me?" arises, "the suffering of those who have made me suffer" is not the only possible answer, even for a Loa in the greatest possible pain.

--Arinn

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm

I imagine one should be worried if it is the one it chooses, though.

On a related note to the minimum requirements, is there a maximum "size" a Loa can reach, regardless of available infrastructure? I.e. some limit they could not exceed even with a hypothetical core of infinite processing power and memory?
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 am

No. There is no necessary limit.

--Arinn

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 am

Can a Loa grow until it becomes too complex to keep all the "routines" in check and... well, go crazy?
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

fibio

Post by fibio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 am

I'm imagining something along the lines of a sentient dyson's sphere may be the theoretical upper limmit.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm

The Speed of internal communication is always critical to any organism. Hence your lack of eye stalks ;)

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 pm

So size is probably limited by the speed of light, unless ftl technology can somehow be leveraged for data transmission within a computer?

Return to “The Lore”