Hiver Clan Naming

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Lord_Asmodeus

Hiver Clan Naming

Post by Lord_Asmodeus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 am

I'm curious about Hiver clan names, how do they get their names? Does the Princess name her Clan, or does the Queen give the clan a name when she has her daughter?
ImageImage

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Hiver Clan Naming

Post by Erinys » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 am

Clan names are bestowed by the Queen, and maintained over generations. When the Princess of a clan dies, the surviving members and a young Princess typically adopt one another, typically through a consortship with a Prince who was father to the current generation.

Radiant Frost was not the first mother of her clan, nor was Obsidian Crown the first mother of hers. Clans can be destroyed, however, when all members of the clan die, and clan names can be stricken from the Queen's registry and abolished. When this occurs, all members of that clan are rendered exile, and are no longer "Hivers" per se. The Queen does not acknowledge them as Children.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Lord_Asmodeus

Post by Lord_Asmodeus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:55 am

That's cool, thanks for clarifying that for me :D
ImageImage

SFS Lovenought

Post by SFS Lovenought » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 am

I assume the Queen would never exile a princess, right?
Sending her away would let her possibly develop into a queen herself, so do princesses get death where others get exile?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 am

Death is the usual punishment for a rogue princess, yes, but on some occasions a rogue Princess will escape execution.

The clan name may still be struck from the register and the clan declared exile. Loyal Hivers who encounter the clan are obligated to kill them on sight.

--Arinn

Mika

Post by Mika » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Would Independant world Hivers be "stricken" clans? Or are they still regarded as family, albeit regrettably estranged?
Michael, speaking for Boskone

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Erinys wrote:Clan names are bestowed by the Queen, and maintained over generations. When the Princess of a clan dies, the surviving members and a young Princess typically adopt one another, typically through a consortship with a Prince who was father to the current generation.
That has to be a very sad and difficult time for everyone involved. Do Hivers have stories of evil step-mothers?

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:18 am

On the same note of independent colonies, how do the Queen's Children perceive those who join the Morrigi under their confederation?

Can't imagine it is a very pleasant conversation.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:36 am

Sevain wrote:That has to be a very sad and difficult time for everyone involved. Do Hivers have stories of evil step-mothers?

Absolutely. From children's stories to every other medium of literary art, it is a major theme.

--Arinn

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Erinys wrote:Death is the usual punishment for a rogue princess, yes, but on some occasions a rogue Princess will escape execution.

Hint hint hint... :D Ok, I'm just set in my ways, most likely not right about this, but I do like the idea of splinter Hivers having another empire out there.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Bluepants

Post by Bluepants » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Tarrak wrote:Hint hint hint... :D Ok, I'm just set in my ways, most likely not right about this, but I do like the idea of splinter Hivers having another empire out there.

You might want to read the entry for pre-gate era Hiver history in the Sotspedia then ;)

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I have, nothing indicates that every single colony was pulled home or died off, only that it was terribly hard to support them and eventually the effort was halted. Local colonial efforts could easily have resulted in a Princess abandoning her world for something better elsewhere, eventually resulting in a seperate empire (since she would become a Queen in her own right in time).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Return to “The Lore”