Tarkas worshiping the Christian/Catholic God

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Raiga

Re: Tarkas worshiping the Christian/Catholic God

Post by Raiga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 am

Telepaths and empaths that don't respect privacy will act all nice conditionally and then if you have thoughts or feelings they don't like, they want to destroy them. This is what I suspect about the Liir although it's not stated in lore.

argentus

Post by argentus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm curious how the various races in sots would react to the Asatru faith.

Terramort

Post by Terramort » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am

Question: How did Christianity survive until now? Furthermore, how did it get adopted by an ALIEN species? I mean... doesn't that... kinda, defeat the whole purpose of Christianity? I mean, I would get Buddhism, Taoism, or other similar religions, but Christianity is pretty straightforward about... well, everything.

A. Bible says Jesus came to EARTH as a HUMAN to die for their sins. What kind of Zuul thinks believing in a guy sent to save humans x000 years will save his soul? What kind of Zuul thinks his soul would be saved by a HUMAN God - especially since Zuul are artificially created, they have no soul (at least not one put there by a HUMAN god)

B. The Bible is also pretty clear in saying that humans were created. So what does all of Christianity have to say about alien races (which apparently evolved) and what do Christians do about the proof that the Earth is x000 years older than the Bible says (roughly 6000)?

C. Revelations. Is that entire book of the Bible just... omitted? I mean, it very, VERY clearly says that when the world comes together, Jesus comes back and it's all over. Seeing as Sol Force has numerous colonies, Revelations is obviously incorrect.

I mean, I don't see any reason for, of all religions, Christianity to survive and flourish with alien species. Am I just missing something? Was there a Jesus story that explains how all this works together?

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Terramort wrote:Question: How did Christianity survive until now? Furthermore, how did it get adopted by an ALIEN species? I mean... doesn't that... kinda, defeat the whole purpose of Christianity? I mean, I would get Buddhism, Taoism, or other similar religions, but Christianity is pretty straightforward about... well, everything.

A. Bible says Jesus came to EARTH as a HUMAN to die for their sins. What kind of Zuul thinks believing in a guy sent to save humans x000 years will save his soul? What kind of Zuul thinks his soul would be saved by a HUMAN God - especially since Zuul are artificially created, they have no soul (at least not one put there by a HUMAN god)

B. The Bible is also pretty clear in saying that humans were created. So what does all of Christianity have to say about alien races (which apparently evolved) and what do Christians do about the proof that the Earth is x000 years older than the Bible says (roughly 6000)?

C. Revelations. Is that entire book of the Bible just... omitted? I mean, it very, VERY clearly says that when the world comes together, Jesus comes back and it's all over. Seeing as Sol Force has numerous colonies, Revelations is obviously incorrect.

I mean, I don't see any reason for, of all religions, Christianity to survive and flourish with alien species. Am I just missing something? Was there a Jesus story that explains how all this works together?

You clearly misunderstand how religion works. Most of the religions up to date have been evolving and still are, for example in past it was thoroughly denied that the world is round and people who claimed so were threatened and burned as heretics. Has this idea survived up to today? Clearly not. Should the idea that only humans have soul survive in x000 years in the future? I highly doubt it.

You may also be surprised, but Christianity is already okay with the idea of extraterrestrial life (aka aliens) and would welcome them. Source: http://www.wired.com/science/space/news ... ntPage=all

The part about Revelations? Where exactly does it say that the Apocalypse will happen only on Earth?
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

marshb

Post by marshb » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 pm

There are plenty of sentient beings in the universe who don't look at holy books as though they are "as-builts" for reality. They are interested in them for spiritual reasons.
:)
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I would like to note that at least some religious people see religion as another part of the human endeavor to approach knowledge of Truth* and not merely as blind faith that what we currently know/believe is knowledge of Truth: that is, such people are open to attempting to reconcile current metaphysical understandings with new data rather than just throwing the new data or current metaphysical understandings out the window.

*just to clarify, such people are quite likely not subscribing to philosophical materialism and/or to logical positivism as philosophical frameworks

Also, Terramort, many of your questions can be responded to with the following: liberal developments in theology.
By this I am referring to ideas like the idea that the Bible is not meant to be literally understood and might not even be a strictly-accurate guide for a lot of things (and/or as a guide, it might require a lot of interpretation that isn't particularly cut-and-dried).
Revelation actually speaks all sorts of weird metaphors and mystical prose, and even rather conservative* Christians in my experience are inclined to take most of Revelations with a 10 lb bag of salt.

*eg scripturally-inerrant but not entirely fundamentalist or biblical-literalist

Another idea is that the Bible was written for humans (and specifically humans in very particular cultural settings that were starkly different from our own) and that much of the stuff that appears to be maybe-culture/species-specific is culture/species-specific, and that maybe the general theological concepts are to be taken as more generally-applicable/'absolutely'-true.

Terramort

Post by Terramort » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Well... so it is my understanding that Christianity *isn't* Christianity, and some offshot with the same name? Otherwise... the Bible does pretty clearly say... you know, I'll just let you read for yourself: http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c012.html

It's pretty clear the Bible does NOT support Aliens. It does NOT support a single world-wide government (Uh, hello, Anti-Christ?) It does NOT support the colonization of other planets, seeing as Revelations pretty clearly says the planet (not solar system, not Earth and outlying colonies, not human-inhabitated systems, but the planet - singular) will suffer various plagues, then be utterly destroyed and reborn with Jesus as the sole ruler.

This whole thing is like saying the Hivers have picked up on the Human's fear of the Mayan Apocalypse in 2012... it already happened, was proven wrong, so why is it a big deal?

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 am

You would probably have a better understanding if you looked at traditional Christian sources rather than new 'fundamentalist' creationism sites. An entirely literal interpretation is a very recent tradition, somewhat starting with the 7th Day Adventists in the late 1800s. The Catholic church, for example, is fine with extraterrestrials, and they're the ones mentioned in the SotSverse.

I don't know offhand of any particular works to refer you to for your questions, but C.S. Lewis's various nonfiction works (and a few of his fiction works) might be a decent 'easy' introduction to more traditional and accepting Christian theology.

Edit: speeling
Last edited by nickersonm on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 am

Yeah, I'm sorry, but you seem to have an understanding of an INCREDIBLY NARROW sliver of Christian thought/belief and seem to think that that tiny portion that you understand constitutes the whole of Christian thought/belief. I am pretty sure that you are factually, incontrovertibly, and terribly wrong. Where are you getting this fixation on biblical literalism, biblical inerrantism, and fundamentalism from? Where are you getting the idea that those particular kinds of sects are the only ones that 'legitimately' fall under the category of 'Christianity'?

C.S. Lewis was a pretty rational and liberal guy (at least in much of his evangelical writings, iirc his personal views were a bit more conservative), but even that is rather conservative compared to significant portions of modern Christian thought.

me irritated :evil:

EDIT: yeah, sorry for starting to raise the temperature there, I think I might be a bit insecure about being lumped together with a group that I for a long time was (sort of) a part of and now am pretty sure I don't want to be a part of.
Last edited by ScoSteSal118 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 am

Don't get too riled, folks. Misunderstandings do happen, and there is a lot to know about Christianity. The basic belief system has been around in multiple forms for thousands of years; it is extremely difficult for any one person to know EVERYTHING about how it has been practiced historically and how it is being practiced today in all parts of the world.

Anyone who believes that Christianity is on the wane, however, needs to pay much more attention to the Evangelical movements sweeping Africa and Asia, and the re-conversion mania in the Carribbean, MesoAmerica and South America. This belief system is in no danger. There are one billion Catholics on planet Earth alone, at the last count I heard. In the SotSverse, the number of Neo-Catholics spread throughout human space numbers eight billion.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Also terra, you may want to keep up with the essays issued by the Vatican Astronomy division if you are going to quote out of date stuff. :P

Raiga

Post by Raiga » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 am

As for Christianity evolving, it had various branches and the two biggest are Islam and Mormon.

In Europe, they are having a huge migration of Muslims, several hundred millions a year and they have very high birthrate. Meanwhile the birthrate of non-Muslims in Europe is below the replacement rate. So Europe is changing demographically from Christian to Muslim. It's not just immigrants, but people are converting a lot too, even some who don't realize it are getting into Muslim culture http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23159023 . It's predicted that by 2040, Europe will be completely Muslim.

Islam is vague on the creation myths. It also doesn't allow human images of figures to be worshipped. So these would make it more open for aliens. Mormonism though I think is even more open as it even mentions another planet Kolob in its creation myth that that God, Adam, and Lucifer came from there and that Mormons will eventually fill the stars.

Terramort

Post by Terramort » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:39 am

Ok, got everything so far - instead of using the literal translation, I take it that x years in the future, parts of the Bible/etc. have changed (mostly Revelations/Genesis would be my guess). My next question, how do they view Jesus in this new Christianity? Has it become like Islam, where Jesus is a great prophet, or does it still retain the belief that Jesus is God, and will return to remake the Universe someday?

And on that note, is there any offbranch sects/cults that see the Suulka/Gardener/etc. as the literal form of the returning Jesus, to remake the universe?

Raiga

Post by Raiga » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:14 pm

I don't think all Christians today believe in the doctrine of the holy trinity. As for immaculate conception, in The Dead Sea Scrolls they say Noah was born that way and he was an albino. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Noah http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/boe110.htm And if you google "jesus shapeshifter" (without the quotes), you'll find ancient texts that believe Jesus could change his shape and Judas kissed Jesus because if he gave a description to the Romans, he could change his shape. Nobody believes these now but they used to.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am

This thread made me realize that Proteans bear a striking resemblance to the flying spaghetti monster :shock: .
Go Hiver or go home!

Return to “The Lore”