Tarkas worshiping the Christian/Catholic God

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Tarkas worshiping the Christian/Catholic God

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am

Both Proteans and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are derived from a prior literary ancestor. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

GildedBear

Post by GildedBear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:23 am

Speaking as a, generally knowledgeable, Latter-Day Saint (aka Mormon): in the depths of LDS theology there is talk of numberless other worlds, specifically one named Kolob, unfortunately aliens would still be difficult to reconcile as all of worlds were created by God and populated by people he created "in his image." In other words, aliens would be expected to fit some definition of "human." Not that we expect to actually meet them though, at least not in this life.

Meeting non-human aliens could be incorporated, since the LDS church encourages the seeking of truth in all things, but it would cause a shift in the understanding of who God is and what is meant by "in his image."

Though I imaging that's pretty obvious. *shrugs* Just the thoughts and understanding of one member.

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:52 am

I am not really sure who our race would send as a diplomat if we actually met an alien race, it is interesting to think about however.

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:59 am

DarkCecilo wrote:I am not really sure who our race would send as a diplomat if we actually met an alien race, it is interesting to think about however.

The American President as a world representative cliché would not be realistically feasible but some sort of council would have to be founded, that is for sure. Which makes me think... In SotS 1 diplomacy screens bargaining with a different race, you always get numerous representatives from each species on one screen. There, Kerberos always one step ahead of us :lol:
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 pm

I nominate Erinys.
Go Hiver or go home!

Raiga

Post by Raiga » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:49 am

GildedBear wrote:unfortunately aliens would still be difficult to reconcile as all of worlds were created by God and populated by people he created "in his image."

I've watched a lot of Ancient Aliens and it looks like Abrahamic religions came from aliens. They generally call themselves messengers. I suppose it could be interpretted in the future that alien bible-thumpers came to earth to preach their religion, rather than being a genetic engineering cult. Just as if a human was really religious into spreading their religion they might ignore whatever version of The Prime Directive they have and preach their religion to the natives on other planets.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:18 pm

It could also just be a mistranslation or misunderstanding of what "in His image" means.

He is supposedly omnipotent, which means he could change shape to whatever He sees fit, so physical image doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I am not sure Ancient Aliens is a good reference point ;)

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:35 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:It could also just be a mistranslation or misunderstanding of what "in His image" means.

He is supposedly omnipotent, which means he could change shape to whatever He sees fit, so physical image doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah, the way I've heard 'in his image' understood is the whole part where we have conscious, thinking, logical minds (and a conscience?) because, so far as I can tell most mainstream Christian theologies understand God (the Father, at least) to be body-less and not having his being based in any physical form (or 'his' being based in the physical universe at all).

Also, random idea that wandered into my head earlier (only even possibly applicable to more liberal and less-extremely-biblical-inerrantist/literalist Judeo-Christian groups): As I understand, the Hebrew cultures that produced the Old and New Testaments had dramatically different understandings of the cosmos than we do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmology looks well-cited for relevant points) that didn't necessarily allow for the possibility of 'extra-terrestrial life' other than angel/demon types of things. Therefore, couldn't one reasonably interpret most sweeping (ie cosmos-wide) statements in the Bible as referring to the cosmos as the people being spoken to understood it, and therefore wouldn't passages in the Bible that appear to rule out other life or separate/distinct redemption events not necessarily actually do so?

Return to “The Lore”