"40 Years Later" - Status of things

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: "40 Years Later" - Status of things

Post by Erinys » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Ciurrioc wrote:in all I can see why its a response to said Psionic proliferation when you think about the circumstances of the Loa vs Suul'ka, but over all I'm....lost

It's a form of power. A lot of people are seeking power nowadays.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 pm

firestrike wrote:but will you throw your humanity away so you can be faster,better,stronger i won't call a brain in jar inside in a battle suit a human thou

I don't think we'd call a giant, malice-filled skeleton floating through the void 'liir', either, regardless of what it was to begin with.

It doesn't seem too much different than psi-powers, especially when you don't have to give up a your body to do it. From what I understand, a spinal jack is relatively convenient and unobtrusive, and allows the operation of much more extensive machinery through it.

In a lot of ways, cybernetics seems to just be a slightly-less-spacemagicy-feeling form of psionics. And with the added ability of allowing prosthetics. Sure, you could take that a bit far... But I personally wouldn't want to put anything but the most willing of brains inside a giant warship.

Also, as someone who felt slightly disappointed at the depth of the cybernetics tree (possibly having to do with building a T5 science station devoted to it before I got around to exploring it, :awesome: ) I find the suggestion that we'll be getting more cybernetics techs as part of the 'arms race' with future expansion packs most excellent.

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

Looks like 'The Hidden' wasn't able to live up to his name :(

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm

You want to live, don't mess with the Human race.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

firelordzx

Post by firelordzx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Ciurrioc wrote:How the heck did they even fine the Hidden >_>

Easy, the Hidden was in the eye of everyone when trying to "control" the SFS Leviathan, an fleet of SolForce come and.... well you might guess the battle of titanic proportion and late death

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm

They just froze all his accounts and then took the money from there.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

"40 Years Later" - Status of things

Post by ZedF » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Ciurrioc wrote: there's noway he couldn't have seen them coming

Nobody has a monopoly on sneakiness in the SotSverse. It might have taken a couple false starts and some significant planning in order to lay an appropriate trap, but that doesn't make it impossible.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mockery

Re:

Post by Mockery » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 am

ZedF wrote:
Ciurrioc wrote: there's noway he couldn't have seen them coming

Nobody has a monopoly on sneakiness in the SotSverse. It might have taken a couple false starts and some significant planning in order to lay an appropriate trap, but that doesn't make it impossible.

He also might be capable of making poor judgement calls.

Things like, "Aww, they're wrecking my shiny new toy. I guess I'll teleport in and sav- OH GOD CUTTING BEAMS EVERYWHERE.".

Or, as the goddess pointed out above, "Hey, I think I'll go screw with the collective human race today...".

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 am

So does this make the hidden just shall we say, egotistic? Overestimating his own abilities or not understanding that you don't poke a hornet's nest.

Mika

Post by Mika » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:23 am

DarkCecilo wrote:So does this make the hidden just shall we say, egotistic? Overestimating his own abilities or not understanding that you don't poke a hornet's nest.

Well, utter egotism and megalomania are part of the requirement for Liir becoming Suul'ka. So traps based on those personaliy traits are pretty much guaranteed to pay off eventually.
Michael, speaking for Boskone

mrelegos

Post by mrelegos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Hell, set up enough beacons sending out messages telling the Hidden that Humanity have seen the light and we want to worship him and throw him a party.

"Oh hey guys...thats a lot of ship based cannons. Are they party cannons?"

"Hey...those aren't party cannons..."
Bellum se ipsum alet

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 am

Undoubtedly The Hidden was exceedingly confident in his own abilities to stay unobserved. Think about it, he has been pretty much 'hidden' all the while he has been a full Suul'ka, in fact he has been an annoyance to the other Suul'ka. Those measly Humans, HAH! What can go wrong? But he must have forgotten that his annoyance to the other Suul'ka has been more on the order of the little brother that always manages to enter the room at the wrong time. A passive annoyance.
The Humans were royally pissed and unlike the other Suul'ka actively sought him out. I can even imagine him treating his little dallying with Coersion to be a spur of the moment, once it failed he moved on, almost fogetting it. So he would have been going about striking things from the darkness, basically laying a pretty thick carpet of clues as to where he was going and what his MO was.

So he might not have been terribly obvious when he didn't want to be, but he is unlikely to have been able to contain himself for long. In essence he strikes me as a rather juvenile character compared to The Eldest and perhaps The Deaf.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 pm

We all know the Deaf just want to be left alone.

It just so happens that he enforces his concept of "alone" with extreme prejudice.
For some reasons, I imagine him as the kind who was always bugged by the young liirs for questions on everything and nothing, kinda like the jaded teacher type who may have snapped just a little(just a bit).
And then went "Enough!" and went Suul'ka.

It makes me wonder who'll tackle the Deaf, actually. We all knowns the Morrigis are gunning for the Siren, that humans will take out the Hidden, that Chezokin will (attempt to) take out the Cannibal and the Loas may be attempting to deal with the Eldest but I wonder about the others.
It's obvious that the Usurper will be attempting to tackle the other Suul'ka or will end up being tackled by one and it's loyalists Zuuls himself.
However, it seems unknown who will tackle good ol' cetacean Mengeles... though the Dark Tide faction of mainly Prester Zuuls within the Liir-zuul alliance dedicated to chasing the "false god" seems like they would be a good fit for the Bloodweaver... the reformed creation hunting down the corrupt creator.

That does still leave the Deaf, and the Kraken. Cetacean "get of my lawn and shut up you wipper-snappers!" genocide-grade shotgun-toting cranky old man, and the warmonger.
Kraken seems like he would be a good fit for the likes of the more warlike Tarkas, and I could imagine a "jolly good fight" resulting from the encounter...

Though it may leave the Deaf, which may make me curious what would take him out(or not)... if anything, he seems like the kind who would actually rather not get involved at all, even moreso.

Bluepants

Post by Bluepants » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

It has been mentioned that the Liir hold a special grudge (hm, grudge is not the right word here, maybe more like burning hatred and abject terror?) with He Does Not Hear.
Erinys wrote:Particularly terrifying to Psionic races, the Deaf is the most resistant to Psionic attack of all the Suul'ka. When confronted mind to mind, he appears as a towering maze of mirrors and ice, impenetrable and deadly cold.

I can only imagine how a race that is one Choir through their telepathic union feels about a being that has willingly cut off that bond.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Not just willingly cut it off, willingly cut it off from them.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Return to “The Lore”