Why don't the Loa build orbital power collectors?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Mekan1k

Re: Why don't the Loa build orbital power collectors?

Post by Mekan1k » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 am

theSmallerFish wrote:
Mekan1k wrote:BRING ON THE RANTING! :awesome:

Breaking the entanglement cannot, by definition, be observed on the other side. The point where the entanglement breaks is the point where you stop being able to tell anything about the far side, including the fact that the entanglement has broken.

You do not control, and cannot effect, the far side of the entanglement, you merely possess knowledge of it.

That said you are clearly very keen to learn about this subject (which is good), and some of the ideas I ended up with when I was learning about it were much stranger, so you've made a better start than I did.

I know people and profs who are space physicists :awesome:

That is the whole point though of using the BEC, to bring the entanglement into a range that can be detected and effected. The temperature affects the malleability of the quantum state, and since quantum entanglement links pairs of bosons, the altering of the state would cause reactions on both sides of the communicators.

The quantum state itself need-not be observed, but the effects are observable.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:59 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote:tSF basically got it right on the general model of power generation and how information can be transmitted through the wise clay. Erinys, would you mind clarifying the specific case of incorporating AM into Wise Clay or making Wise Clay out of AM?

Wise Clay is the substance as a whole. It can incorporate the fuel of all the resulting vessels into its matrix in a variety of ways. All use of anti-matter requires a field to prevent and control its eventually recombination with ordinary matter. Wise Clay can incorporate anti-matter as fuel as soon as this field problem is solved--it is like any other engine in this respect, to be honest.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 am

Mekan1k wrote:I know people and profs who are space physicists :awesome:

So do I. I imagine a lot of people who visit sci-fi forums do.

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 am

There are a lot of interpretations of quantum entanglement, with a lot of different opinions about what is going on 'under the hood', however all of these interpretations do come to the same conclusion: you cannot use quantum entanglement as an FTL communicator.

Since I doubt anyone is going to convince anyone of anything at this stage of the discussion, this will be my last post on the subject.

Feel free to have the last word.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:48 am

Aranador wrote:An alternative line of thinking :

Perhaps the Loa (and ever other race) already does all these nifty things - but it is all abstracted in the game.

This could be a major factor as to the additional strain on Economic rating that is caused by having active enemy presence in system.
- Resok

Return to “The Lore”