Minor Race Lore Poll

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

What minor race(s) would you like to read more about?

the Nandi - "Shadowbears"
8%
the Kaeru - "Frogs"
4%
the Uttuku - "Stranglers"
6%
the Enki - "Otters"
13%
the Tatzel - "Weasel-pedes"
9%
the Mindi - "Panzer-squid"
15%
Deeroz - collapsed troglodytic civilization
22%
M'kkose - airborne fungal hive mind
22%

Total votes: 85

Oneiron

Minor Race Lore Poll

Post by Oneiron » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 pm

As a general lore-fiend, I very much enjoy ferreting out snippets of sotsverse information. I think of the minor independent races as the amuse-bouche of SotS lore - small bursts of creative flavor that excite the imagination, and improve my enjoyment of the game's wider narrative. To me, some of the joy of the "minor" races is in the brevity of their descriptions, and the single fantastic image that accompanies each one in the Sotspedia - they intrigue, but they also leave me wanting more!

I've put up this poll to inquire of the forum - if we had the chance to devour more lore about these groups, which one(s) would you be most interested in learning more about?

I debated adding options for "I don't care for minor races" and "just add more new groups" to the poll but, I'm interested not so much in feedback on how folks feel about the minors overall, but rather in their relative interest in the existing groups comparative to one another. That said, if folks would prefer that I add in those options shout out and if enough do I'll add them.

Oneiron

Re: Minor Race Lore Poll

Post by Oneiron » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Oh, and as an aside, I'll just throw out that my favorite minor race, and the one I'd love to learn more about, are the M'kkose. Maybe it's a shade of my childhood love of Star Control II (Mycon), but I find these guys evocative and fascinating!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Interesting. I will keep an eye on the poll and see who wins. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Panzer-squids and the M'kkose.

The M'kkose more advanced nature compared to other indies also have me curious, as is their reason for going to space. It makes me curious if they could ever develop FTL of their own or actually be more formally contacted by another race than shooting at said race in their space. Their rapid technological rise also has me curious just how far they might be able to get to again in a short span of time... or what might happen if one is able to actuall make proper diplomatic contact with them.

Panzer-Squids.... well, the name alone makes one amusingly curious even if the reasons are obvious :P

I must also say the Tatzels actually were a very close second however.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Do the Refugee's count here, or is that someone totally different again?
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 am

No kitties :(

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:07 am

Panzer Squids: they have the most awesome name, therefore I must know more.

Oneiron

Post by Oneiron » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Do the Refugee's count here, or is that someone totally different again?

I hadn't included them as a) I didn't remember them, only now some hazy recollections from SotS1, and, b) I'm not sure where to draw the line when including entities not explicitly described as Independents in the SotsPedia. One might make a good argument to include the Refugees, the Proteans, the Locusts and the Von Neumanns in this poll, but I'm inclined not to do so as I think that revealing those mysteries is something Erinys and Mecron already carefully dole out to us - maybe they serve a different narrative purpose? Actually I'm going to stop speculating because I don't want to put words in designer's mouths! They just feel like different categories of things to me, I guess.

Maybe someone should create a "favorite mysteries poll"?

Darv57

Post by Darv57 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Panzer Squids. They where the first indie I encountered and as I was playing liir at the time I got this wonderfully clear picture of the dolphins and squids dancing around to "under the sea". :awesome:

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Hmm, much love for the Fungi. Interesting.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Eh, putting my vote on the lowest two. Can't have enough lore.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Return to “The Lore”