Eating Aliens

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

SacremPyrobolum

Eating Aliens

Post by SacremPyrobolum » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:16 am

Is it okay in some alien culture to eat member of the other major races?

Coming from someone who absolutely loves mahi-mahi and dolphin it would not be surprising to find out that in a state of war or desperation a Sol Force ship might 'salvage' some of the dead crew-fish from a downed Liir cruiser.

And I'm sure that those who already like eating candied insects would jump at the chance for trying caramel covered Hiver prince.

I can see this being a hot black market trade good.

theSmallerFish

Re: Eating Aliens

Post by theSmallerFish » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm pretty sure Horde Zuul have no compunction about eating the bodies of their slaves (after all their minds were delicious), Tarka like to joke about eating Hivers, but I got the impression they didn't actually do it. In certain situations Hiver Princesses and Queens eat other Hivers as a form of reincarnation. As for starving SolForce crews eating their enemies, desperate people do desperate things, especially if their enemies have been (for want of a better word) dehumanized, and that's likely to be easier if those enemies aren't human. That said it's a long way from a horrible, but necessary, field solution, to a civilized dinner party.

My guess is that the break down of attitudes amongst the so far encountered races to eating each other is something like this:

Humans and Tarka both find it a rich source of humour i.e. (British) Humans vs Liir: the Liir are in range! bring me some batter and lots of ketchup! or for the Tarka vs Hivers: I love the smell of melted butter in the morning, it smells like victory. Neither race however actually does eat other sapients, except in direst need (there are of course exceptions, rule 34 knows no limits).

Hivers, given their views on reincarnation tend to find such jokes rather offensive. A Hiver princess with a poor grasp of xeno-biology might try eating a particularly valued ally, or an impressive enemy, but is likely to be disappointed with the results. Starving Hiver soldiers might be able to put aside their views on blasphemy in the same way that human soldiers have put aside their cultural taboos over cannibalism in the past, but once again its likely to be an emergency measure, and not something you repeat unless you have to.

I doubt Liir civilians would be very keen on eating other sapient creatures, and certainly wouldn't be able to cope with being nearby when those creatures were killed. It's hard to say whether or not Black Swimmers would be more or less likely to resort to extreme measures to survive than other races, on the one hand they already consider themselves dead, and therefore won't go as far to preserve their own lives. On the other hand, Black Swimmers have already broken a lot of Liir cultural taboos by taking up arms, so what difference would one more crime make? It's even possible, given that Liir are omnivores, and given that primitive Liir were described as hunters, that for a Black Swimmer rationalizing their enemies as 'prey' might be a coping strategy, and if they are just prey, why waste fresh meat? Needless to say, a Black Swimmer who went to far down that line of thought would be considered to be in urgent need of a Sin Eater.

I get the impression that Morrigi have been just about everywhere and done just about everything, that probably increases the chance that Morrigi have eaten other sapient creatures at some in their history, but it also makes them likely less likely to continue the practice today. They have spent enough time in contact with aliens that they are inclined to think of them as very strange people, and instinct says that eating people can lead to all sorts of nasty parasites and diseases, especially since Morrigi are predators. In short they are probably more likely than anyone else to extend any existing cannibalism taboos to other races (and they probably do have cannibalism taboos). That said it wouldn't be surprising if they sometimes make the same kind of jokes that humans and Tarka do (my Grandmother visited your world once, she said that apes are best when wrapped in tinfoil and flame-grilled). Starving and desperate Morrigi probably behave no better than anyone else under those circumstances.

Horde Zuul believe that slaves exist to serve their masters in every sense of the word, mind, body and soul.

Prester Zuul are probably the least likely race to eat sapient creatures, that would be acting like the Horde Zuul, and I think the average Prester Zuul would rather starve than become like them.

The Suul'ka regard the minds of other creatures as a buffet which occassionaly begs for its life in an amusing fashion. The Cannibal thinks that the bodies of other creatures make a nice side dish to go with their pain and fear.

Unless they have a rather specialized power plant installed in their current body, Loa wouldn't get much out of eating carbonites, and given that they lack a physical form, conventional consumption of Loa would be impossible. That said some of the things done to pre-Via Damasco, or captured, Loa might be considered equivalent. Some scouting and/or infiltration walkabouts might even be designed to use bio-matter reactors, in which case they might regard dead aliens as just more bio-matter, after all the spirit has departed, and to a Loa that was the only part that was truly alive. I would expect that some Loa combat walkabouts are built to simulate eating their enemies, they do seem to have a healthy appreciation for psychological warfare after all.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

SacremPyrobolum wrote:Is it okay in some alien culture to eat member of the other major races?

No. Absolutely not. Only the Horde officially sanctions the murder of other sentient races for food. Cannibalizing humans is a crime on this planet--it doesn't matter whether they happen to be on the opposite side of a war at the time. Nonetheless, some humans are insane enough to eat one another.

The same rate of pathology among the general population is likely to exist in the future.

--Arinn

P.S. As a side note, I should probably point out that the superficial resemblance of an alien species to some terrestrial analog does NOT mean that the flavor will match. Hivers do NOT taste like crab, Tarka do NOT taste like gator, and Liir do NOT taste like terrestrial dolphins or whales.

Plus, they can kill you with their minds.
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 am

From a canonical Lore perspective are any of the races out right toxic to one another from a bio-chemical perspective?
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Even if they're not outright toxic, the fact that all of the major races we've seen so far are (according to xeno-biologists quite realistically) super-predators who enjoy varied diets, makes eating one of them a bad idea. It's like eating polar bear, it might look nutritious, but it's likely to be full of toxins and parasites. Parasites are admittedly less likely to be a problem if your eating a creature that had regular medical check ups (and a food standards agency), but it's still going to be the least healthy meat you've ever eaten.

Remember, everything that goes into a McDonalds hamburger also goes into their customers, sometimes several times a week :|. Even if you are completely biologically compatible, you do not want to eat that meat.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 pm

I wouldn't have thought it possible but you just made cannibalism even less appealing to me... Lol

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

There was recently a TV show about (among other things) some indigenous culture in which eating other people (their enemies?) is not considered taboo. When an elder was asked why they ate other people, his answer was "because they taste good".

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 am

This topic needs more salt
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Sayeth wrote:This topic needs more salt

For the Mindi? :lol:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

siracer

Post by siracer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 am

lol, if I was in a situation where I was able to to eat another sentient (preferably not human), I would Jump with glee at the chance
though, I do have standards....that are also included in my "Rules for Eating Slain Monsters" oddly enough
1) The being Will Never Be one that would equate to being male. as in how they produce what joins the egg, Unless the being is large enough to avoid ingesting all that relate and still be able to enjoy.
2) The least amount of decay possible, Fresher or more preserved the better, and please try to keep the blood with the meal if you preserve it. The blood's the best part of the whole experience after all.
3) Please don't cook unless it's covered in fur or some other legitimate reason. I'd hate to choke on my delicious meal
4) only tear into pieces if it's "limb from limb", like a turkey leg at Viking thanksgiving
5) the only "silver ware" is the melee weapon you carry

:blush: I am one sick twisted person :twisted:
Last edited by siracer on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Um...ok. Well then. Thanks for sharing...?

:?

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “The Lore”