The Race's Small Arms of Choice?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

SacremPyrobolum

The Race's Small Arms of Choice?

Post by SacremPyrobolum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:13 pm

When it is necessary to deploy ground forces and boarding parties, what kind of equipment does each race carry with them?

I know that humans have Brawler suits as well as traditional firearms but the question is how much have those firearms changed since now?

I have also seen the smaller unchanged Tarkans carrying what looks like a large polearm/spear with along gun forming the shaft.

I don't think I have to ask have the Zuul use...

I can see the Liir mounting heavy weapons on their battle armor as well as using mind-fuck beams to drive their opponents to insanity.

I have no idea what the Morragi would use. I have the feeling that they would just hire mercenaries or create auxiliaries like the Romans to do all the dirty work of fighting planet-side.

Being that the Loa can upload themselves to anything it is no stretch of the imagination to see them inhabiting the shell of anything from a basic battle droid to a ten foot tall assault platform.

I have seen references to famed Hiver warriors who wield swords and I have also read about their natural physical toughness thanks to their chitin platting. I assume the also have some form of ranged weapon?

Additionally, when it does come to fighting planet-side do tanks or any other sort of mechanized ground or water based combat play a role?

Gizmoh

Re: The Race's Small Arms of Choice?

Post by Gizmoh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Morrigi use tons of drones, and huge ass "starlances" which I think are some kind of energy weapons. There's also talk of energy blades from a more civilized age.
Tarka are big on melee weapons, especially those made with "Living steel" which is a Tarka specialty, this is a specially forged metal, that can create empathic weapons, like lightning hammers and swords.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Play the pit... You will get an idea of each race's idea of ground combat.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:43 am

exactly ;) Specially humans

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 pm

I believe that Hivers tend to prefer slug throwers with AP rounds when fighting each other, and flamethrowers when in close quarters with squishier opponents. Honour duels are of course a different matter, and Hiver warriors usually fight those unarmed, well, as unarmed as a scythe clawed 8 foot creature covered in armor can be.

Morrigi are supposed to be quite fond of sophisticated suits of armour (often incorporating personal combat drones). Morrigi males use ascension armor to travel to and from a planets surface (at least when they're trying to impress the girls). Given that morrigi males often find it difficult to stand in most planets gravity wells, this armor either incorporates an exoskeleton to make them stronger, or gravity manipulators to make them lighter. I would suspect that not all suits of Ascension armor are intended for combat, some are just going to be used for visiting planetbound relatives and dating, but the military models could be quite fearsome,it's essentially a suit of power armour that doubles as a spaceship. Starlances are I believe a kind of personal laser weapon, the most lethal humans have ever encountered.

While they don't need exoskeletons to walk on a planet's surface, the Wyrm of Da'amto implies that female morrigi also wear heavy armor in combat. The scorched corpses imply that they're fond of flamethrowers.

I'd suspect that the Liir could be hamstrung by their natural physical prowess. Humans, and presumably morrigi males, developed sophisticated weapons and armour because they are not naturally particularly fearsome. An untrained Liir can throw a spear so hard it breaks the sound barrier, and can mince your brain with a thought, so they'd only need to start thinking about small arms until quite late on. On that basis I wouldn't expect Liir small arms to be very impressive, they're designed for something that doesn't need weapons to kill you.

Loa anti-personnel combat walkabouts are supposed to be quite fearsome, they are usually modelled on terrestrial predators, or whatever else the Loa think their target might find scary. So, a typical example might be: a mechanical siberian tiger, possessed of human-comparable intelligence, an array of powerful lasers, and a fondness for psychological warfare :twisted:.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Morrigi ascension armor is fit for use in vacuum and can survive reentry, AND reach orbit unaided? That is freaking epic.

Re: living steel... an empathic weapon? Why in the world would you want a weapon that can feel what the person it's killing is feeling? What's the advantage in that? Wouldn't that just be torturing the poor weapon?
Go Hiver or go home!

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm

I think that "empathic " means that it's empathic with the holder.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I still don't see what good that would do. So you have an emotionally supportive weapon. Yippee.
Go Hiver or go home!

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Think more the other way around, where the weapon gets sharper the more 'focused' you get, or more serrated the more 'angry' you get.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Well, the caste creating them has a long history of MechaEmpathy, so that might not be completely off...
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 pm

You would be correct.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:01 am

So the steel shapes itself on the fly to the wielder's will?
Go Hiver or go home!

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Itharus wrote:Morrigi ascension armor is fit for use in vacuum and can survive reentry, AND reach orbit unaided? That is freaking epic.

As far as I remember, it can not. It is a powered battle armour. Erinys wrote that in the FACTION: THE MORRIGI CONFEDERATION topic, that doesn't seem to exist any more (but you can still stitch the topic together through advanced search with a lot of patience).
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:30 pm

It is also powered battle armour.
It's definitely capable of surviving atmospheric entry and use in vacuum and, well, it's named Ascension Armour, so it wouldn't be surprising if it is capable of reaching orbit.
Itharus wrote:So the steel shapes itself on the fly to the wielder's will?

To a degree.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Itharus wrote:So the steel shapes itself on the fly to the wielder's will?

The steel shapes itself to the will of its maker, but once the weapon or object is complete, it also bonds with its operator. A hammer that returns to the hand of the man who threw it, a blade that will not flash with lightning for anyone but its current owner (until the owner is dead), armor that always seems to fit just perfectly, etc..

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “The Lore”