A thought on the Proteans

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

I was thinking a bit more about the proteans recently. Originally, I was thinking of them as just a mere "organic equivalent" to the Loa but then I began thinking again... Unlike the loa, proteans seems(if descriptions in their presence in "The Pit" are any indications amongst other things) to be a communal organism of multiple entities merging to form a larger whole(considering a protean "ship" could be cut out into multiple smaller proteans).

Continuing on that note, it was said that the Proteans were an "incident" of technological development as "artificial tissues" leading to results unexpected.

On another note, like the Gardener, it was said that systems which the proteans orbit see their biosphere boosted* over time.

One of the next playable races was said to be all about taking, and holding territory.

It was never said just how big proteans-"bodies" could get with enough proteans.
If we go by the (admitedly faillible) hypothesis that the proteans -might- be one of the future playable races, either in SOTS2 or 3, I suddenly can't help but picture a sort of "organic grey goo" disaster, of world being covered by protean matters meant to spawn more of the protean entities(later merging into "ships" to go spaceborne) under the ministrations of fleets of protean bioforms, thus wiping out their creators in a resulting war, taking a territory, and then "holding" it via increasing and much hard to undo conversion.

On another subject.... the gardener and the proteans were created by the same race. Both are the results of advanced biotechs.
Another result of frighteningly advanced biotech is also out there however...

... could the xombie plague have been created -also- by the Proteans' creators?

nickersonm

Re: A thought on the Proteans

Post by nickersonm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Ludovsky wrote:Continuing on that note, it was said that the Proteans were an "incident" of technological development as "artificial tissues" leading to results unexpected.

It may be helpful to read Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness :).

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

nickersonm wrote:
Ludovsky wrote:Continuing on that note, it was said that the Proteans were an "incident" of technological development as "artificial tissues" leading to results unexpected.

It may be helpful to read Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness :).

Or maybe this.
Though it's not quite as serious.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 am

The only thing I might see hindering the proteans as a playable choices are weapons, since though I could easily see them generating some form of ballistics out of their own bodies by hardening lumps of flesh to weapon-grade steel hardness.... I have a hard time figuring them how they would emuilate energy weapons such as beams and lasers.

That is, unless they maybe take a page from the recent development of all these pesky young races, and integrate such weapon systems within their bioforms via cyberntics implants.

Now that's a scary thought. Protean cyborgs.

Enjelus

Post by Enjelus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 am

Ludovsky wrote:I have a hard time figuring them how they would emuilate energy weapons such as beams and lasers.

Bio-luminescence taken to the extreme case.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 am

Ludovsky wrote:Now that's a scary thought. Protean cyborgs.

Yes. That's what an Adaptoid is,if you have played The Pit.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am

I've played the Pit, but have yet to meet them(I... rarely make it very far <.<; ).

Now I'm scared!

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 am

Ludovsky wrote:I've played the Pit, but have yet to meet them(I... rarely make it very far <.<; ).

Now I'm scared!

Let's just say your first encounter will be a surprise.

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 am

Mockery wrote:
Ludovsky wrote:I've played the Pit, but have yet to meet them(I... rarely make it very far <.<; ).

Now I'm scared!

Let's just say your first encounter will be a surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2DQkWfWq0

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Now I'm scared!

You kinda meet small ones early. The white "blob" things are "Proteans (Small)":
Look in your SotsDec under enemies.

mrelegos

Post by mrelegos » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:46 am

From having played The Pit a fair amount, I have this to say on the Proteans:

Kill them, kill them quick and for the love of god, keep them away from melee range, cause punching your way to the end of the game? Not pretty.
Bellum se ipsum alet

Garfield78

Post by Garfield78 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 am

Ludovsky wrote:The only thing I might see hindering the proteans as a playable choices are weapons, since though I could easily see them generating some form of ballistics out of their own bodies by hardening lumps of flesh to weapon-grade steel hardness.... I have a hard time figuring them how they would emuilate energy weapons such as beams and lasers.

That is, unless they maybe take a page from the recent development of all these pesky young races, and integrate such weapon systems within their bioforms via cyberntics implants.

Now that's a scary thought. Protean cyborgs.

The proteans not only have to shoot at you with their own bodymass, they could also chew an asteroid/ship/pit explorer/... in small pieces and throw
them in your direction, also may they build a ship around their bodies with power generators energy weapons and FTL engines. Maybe also a big protean could throw adaptoids or small proteans at your ship as they have (in Pit) a very potent acid they should be able to corrode through the hull and attack
the crew and the internal systems ...
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Protean Weapons:
Physical Weapones are no Brainers. Even small chunks of Hard material Work. Loa technically have to form all thier Massdrivers and Rocket ammo from WiseClay as well - wich is why they use it so sparingly.

They could also have powerfull acids (think Aliens).

Energy Weapons:
Why not?
What is so special about a Laser or Plasma gun that it cannot be rebuild with Organic Technology? For all intents, Protean Technology is as far Advanced as Human, Hiver or Loa technology.
Okay, I accept the highest human biotech goes is Cybernetics and some genetic egineering. But that does not mean that this is the upper limit of Biotech! It simply means that human (and even Liir) Biotech is still that primitive.
For the Proteans a Organic ship would be as easy/difficulty to build as a Steel/Wise Clay Ship is for all the other races. As such adding a MassDriver or Plasma Gun to said ship, would be as easy/difficulty as for all the other races.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Well some enrgy weapons might not be very practical with biotech. There is some stuff you do not want inside your body. (Antimatter springs to mind, as does hot plasma, neutrons, positrons, and gravitons). That is not to say that the proteans can't have enrgy weapons. There would just be lot of problems to solve first.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Hence my wonderings about protean cyborgs.

Why try to find the complicated way to simulate such with your body when you can simply "graft" the weapon to you?

Because we all really need protean bioforms with Heavy Combat Lasers strapped against their bodies. *nods*

Return to “The Lore”