How do different races live together in sots?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

EyeMask

How do different races live together in sots?

Post by EyeMask » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 pm

I've just been wondering about it, how do multiple different races work and live together in different factions? Do their culture mix together or do they all live in their own separate ghettos?

I know that Morrigi Federation is only faction where every race has same rights(and Zuuls aren't multiracial, they just take slaves), but how does that work in practice? Do species work together well or are there a lot of inner conflict? What about hivers or tarkas living under "Human" empire? Do they feel oppressed by that they don't have same rights as humans? How do hivers live with other species/cultures? Do they still answer to their queen?

What about liir and morrigi? Its kind of hard to see how they would live under human rule... I mean, liir have very different values than other races, plus they are aquatic, and morrigi males live on fleet while females live on land...

Catfish

Re: How do different races live together in sots?

Post by Catfish » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Well, as regards alien races in human space you have to remember that Sol Force isn't a government in the sense we understand it, it's a kind of supergovernmental body, so while people living in Sol Force territory contribute money and resources to Sol Force (after all, who is going to blow up all those never ending meteors?) they aren't governed by Sol Force.

I've definitely heard that aliens live in Sol Force territory, but it sounds like they tend to found their own self-governing communities separate to the human ones. I'm guessing they'd be a bit like mini-colonies in their own right, self-governing among themselves but willing to pay Sol Force for their protection.

As for Liir, we know that black swimmers sometimes retire to non-Liir worlds to live out their lives in peace without bringing their war-memories back to the Liir, so some of your Liir colonists (though probably not all, otherwise I don't think your community would grow very much) are probably going to be ex-military. I'm guessing they'll keep to themselves, especially since they live in the ocean, but I'd guess they're probably quite willing to help out and pay taxes.

For aliens among the other races I have no idea, although I'm guessing it's quite similar with enclaves living within an Empire's territory as self-governing entities who nonetheless support the alliance which keeps them safe and protected. That said, you're right in that it sounds like the Morrigi confederation is quite well-integrated.

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 am

While you could say that Morrigi Confederation is the most open faction out of the rest since they give all dustlings the same rights and rules which should in practise mean that their lives are the most content, right? Well, having a multicultural, multiracial planets could be an issue in and out of itself too, a lot of different opinions, customs and differences between all of the civilians will most likely lead to a lot of tensions as well and I can imagine that one of the leading females could not like a particular race and discriminate openly or secretly against them.
Correct me if I'm wrong Erynis ;)
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

EyeMask

Post by EyeMask » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah, thats why I'm so interested about this part of the lore.

...Actually, I have to admit that this is subject I'm interested in every space game ever where it is possible to have multiple species living under same empire/planet, but I've never seen this question actually answered in any of them.

Return to “The Lore”