Canonical FTL speeds

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

WarpObscura

Canonical FTL speeds

Post by WarpObscura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 am

Are the numbers given in game canon, as low as they are?

Sayeth

Re: Canonical FTL speeds

Post by Sayeth » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:08 am

I am not sure sure what do you mean, care to elaborate?
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

fibio

Post by fibio » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 am

I believe that the relative speeds are right but the unit of time per move is much more plot based.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 am

Wasn't 1 turn.. 6 months? In Game Turns anyway. They haven't separated the game and lore very much thus far. I wouldn't doubt them on it now.

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:48 am

I have heard that the turn takes one year, 6 months and even 3 months. I guess it is pretty much abstracted as to how long a turn takes but my guess is around 6 months. As for the relative speeds - in game the distance travelled is abstracted heavily with other things (for example stops for refueling, repairs, etc...) the ships do not move into their destination without stop.
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:58 pm

In SotS 1, hivers top-tier engine moved at .99c, and seemed to move one light year per turn. SotS 1 turns were one year.

I believe that's the same in SotS II, but I can't swear to it. Haven't played Hivers enough.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 pm

They could also reach .99c instantly with no acceleration period, though. That's... unrealistic, to say the least. Ingame is pretty much all abstracted.

Node drive for one is much faster in lore than in the game. Just look at how long the engineer in The Pit took to get to the planet.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Turn time:
Judging from the Speed of Antimater Hivers, a turn would be 1 Year. As drivespeed is measured in Lightyears. Also asuming you could do all the acceleration/decelration in that time is not hard.
For aging of admirals, 1 Turn is 1/4 Year. But I just though that could be due to use of rare Anti-aging drugs (like in teh Traveler RPG)-

I would think the Game speed and lore speed would differ. Propably lore is a lot higher then game. Simply because they needed to include the concept of "being forwarned" into a Turnbased game. Wich only works if travel takes more then 1 Turn.

WarpObscura

Post by WarpObscura » Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 am

Sayeth wrote:I am not sure sure what do you mean, care to elaborate?

As in, how fast are the FTL drives of the different factions, lore-wise? How many times c?
Azrael Ultima wrote:Node drive for one is much faster in lore than in the game. Just look at how long the engineer in The Pit took to get to the planet.

Which is... how long?

agoetz3

Post by agoetz3 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 pm

WarpObscura wrote:
Azrael Ultima wrote:Node drive for one is much faster in lore than in the game. Just look at how long the engineer in The Pit took to get to the planet.

Which is... how long?

From the Pit Lore forum:

Toshiko’s fighter had traveled on autopilot through Node Space, moving down a pipeline which connected Arbuda to Junction.
She had just wakened from a transport coma so deep and cold that she could survive for two weeks with very little oxygen, and no food or water, in the cockpit of a Node Fighter.

So a modified Node Fighter has transversed between two systems via a node line in two weeks. Distance between systems is not covered, and normal Node Fighters are not considered capable to multi-system node travel, they just use small internal to the system node points to jump around. So no hard numbers can be calculated, other than faster than game time.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri May 31, 2013 10:19 am

The_Founder wrote:For aging of admirals, 1 Turn is 1/4 Year. But I just though that could be due to use of rare Anti-aging drugs (like in teh Traveler RPG)-

The various means to lower metabolism when space travelling probably extends lifetime as well.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Iejir_Isk

Post by Iejir_Isk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 pm

not to mention the effects of relativistic and superlight speeds

Return to “The Lore”