Technological level of the Proteans

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Technological level of the Proteans

Post by Ludovsky » Fri May 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Just a bit of a wondering I suddenly had, as for a long while people had wondered if Proteans could be a future playable race.

It's been implied many times that the proteans are "sentient" as a "race", which is one of the bigger argument to them possibly making it from being a random menace to an actual race in the future, but now that I think of it nobody had ever mentionned what their actual technological level might be in the first place.

After all, with how potent they seem to be by default due to their unique morphology, would they even have had a need to develop sciences/tools in the first place? It's been implied they have the ability to "adapt"(such as how adaptoids "evolved" when coming in contact with tarkan living steel) but again this -seem- to be nothing more than a consequence of their biology rather than dedicated scientific research.

I mean we know they are the -results- of frighteningly advanced biotech, but what did tell that they actually have researched biotechnology themselves?
I could be wrong though.

ScoSteSal118

Re: Technological level of the Proteans

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Lud, you should get a forum tag: "Proteophile" or something, or maybe Cassandra if it turns out that they are the next playable race.

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri May 24, 2013 4:53 pm

ScoSteSal118 wrote:... or maybe Cassandra if it turns out that they are the next playable race.

The proteans or the remnants of thier former masters?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:29 pm

The proteans, since iirc Lud has been a proponent of the Proteans turning out to be a sleeper playable faction like the Zuul and Morrigi.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Heh, despite appearance I prefer to not have any expectations of what kind of races will come next in the game.

Mind you, until it's actually released(or even announced), a future expansion could see anything as a new race... from the M'kose independants reaching the fusion era, to proteans or even returning remnants of either the Silver Empire or forgotten splinter colonies from the Hivers Empire's pre-Gate colonization effort era being revealed as the Refugees and thus being Hivers who self-modified themselves so much(as Hivers are implied often to be prone to) to become a new race capable of surviving in space and roaming around in mobile ship colonies made from modified hollowed-out asteroids much like the original Hivers build space stations within hollowed out asteroids themselves.

I'm just interested in the Proteans because they are implied to be so damn mysterious and, unlike the current selections of expert-systems grade random menaces, have been implied many times to seemingly be sentient.

marshb wrote:
ScoSteSal118 wrote:... or maybe Cassandra if it turns out that they are the next playable race.

The proteans or the remnants of thier former masters?

The proteans' creators have been many times implied to have been killed off by the proteans themselves if I recall well, for the exception of only one of their creations: the Gardener.
Which was more or less implied to be the reason proteans are so damn stubborn in trying to kill it off, since it's the very last symbol of their creators/masters.

I hesitate to say "masters" because if I recall well, Erinys actually reffered to the creation of the Proteans as an "accident", mentionning their nature as "artificial organic tissues". Which make one wonder what exactly their creators were attempting to create if the Proteans were the results, and it was an "accident"... something tell me though that it'd give the Bloodweaver a bit of a run for his money in term of "horrifying experiments 101" to results in something like this.

Which also make you wonder how exactly the resulting creators/proteans war went on considering said creators, being advanced enough to produces something as massive as the Gardener(a supermassive planet colonizer, figuratively speaking and that's probably just skimming the top of it), and the likes of the proteans... yet ended up being wiped out by the later whom even current fusion era players can wipe out with cruisers when managing their stuff properly... unless the proteans of "back then" were different than those of "today"(or that "something else" was also going on at the time).

Anaxphone

Post by Anaxphone » Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Well, the Proteans may have been very efficient at stripping their creators' flesh from their bones. After all, everything else is a foreign species, but the Proteans were made to be compatible with their first victims.

Alternately, the creators may have used a gate network like the Hivers' on their worlds, allowing the Proteans to swamp all of the connected worlds en masse, while players only have to deal with scouting parties.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun May 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Or maybe they come from so far away that we're only seeing a very small part of their total number.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Return to “The Lore”