Inter/same-faction FTL towing.

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

EnigmaticDoctor

Inter/same-faction FTL towing.

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

I was wondering whether any of the factions could tow a differing or same faction ship through their various FTL methods, or if their would be difficulty towing something from their own faction (BR's aside). I realise that the Loa Neutrino Gate's are probably out of the question for anyone else, by their very design. Is this the same with the Hiver gates? I have always really wondered if the Hiver ships had something on board which allowed only their ships to use their gate network. Since different Factions use different frequencies and all. I also remember that you wouldn't want to take the Liir into node space. But would it be physically possible to tow something into node space?
:mg: :pit: :sots1: :bob: :amoc: :any: :wave:

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Inter/same-faction FTL towing.

Post by Mecron » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Not really...like towing your Chevy with a tugboat ;)

Seeker86

Post by Seeker86 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:25 am

So it would technically work? I mean, if you're not too attached to the Chevy in question. ;)

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:08 am

I new that it would be difficult, just wondered if it was at all possible. I grew up Star Trek. You just 'extend the warp field to envelope both ships', and wondered whether any of the races could do anything remotely like that.

But what I am really curious about now, is whether there is some mechanical element on Hiver ships that make them capable of using the gate network, or if it is just some really complicated code. I know that the distinction is rather subjective. I also realise that any other faction attempting to use a Hiver gate would probably have to be mad.

Edit: Forgot to thank you for your response, oh mighty Mecron.

John_Sawyer

Post by John_Sawyer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:49 am

From what i remember (its been a while) anyone can use a hiver gate they just need several bits off info to bake it work. password to turn it on/IFF to prove your a hiver, where you want to go, ex.

thing is humans (and we can assume all the other races) just cant stand useing the gates. it seems to give them sea sickness x10.

hope that answers your question

Seeker86

Post by Seeker86 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I do think all the races carry chunks of debris from other ships with them plenty of times (e.g. salvage operations), so they probably have ways. I can't imagine Hiver ships being made from anything special, so it's probably just the codes and equipment necessary to activate the jumpgate (with the equipment probably sealed in resin and set up with a self-destruct device in case somebody tries to pry it open and analyze it). That would mean they could carry anything with them, provided it's not alive.

I imagine node space working somewhat differently, with the node rings projecting a cylindrical shape in which matter can exist normally without being disrupted.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:20 pm

the boat and car analogy was chosen for a reason...you guys tend to view drives as lil things you stick on the end of a ship...that's not quite it ;) Putting wheels on a boat doesn't make it a car any more than a propeller on a car makes it a plane. And yes I know some wit is already searching for the flying car or drivable boat. :P But there is a difference between being able to muddle through another medium and being able to survive all parts of it.

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am

Mecron wrote:the boat and car analogy was chosen for a reason...you guys tend to view drives as lil things you stick on the end of a ship...that's not quite it ;) Putting wheels on a boat doesn't make it a car any more than a propeller on a car makes it a plane. And yes I know some wit is already searching for the flying car or drivable boat. :P But there is a difference between being able to muddle through another medium and being able to survive all parts of it.

I believe that I am beginning to see. Thought that the car and boat thing was node specific for some reason.

With the salvage things, I thought that the R&S ships would have kept that salvage on board. But then I remembered the Antiquarians. So its not that simple. Guess you just have to tow your chevy with a tugboat sometimes. Or those damned bugs will win. We can't have that!

Thanks for all of your thoughts/opinions/words-of-god.

Loftie

Post by Loftie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm

John_Sawyer wrote:thing is humans (and we can assume all the other races) just cant stand useing the gates. it seems to give them sea sickness x10.

What I'm taking away from this thread is that only Hivers could run an empire wide pizza delivery service. I just hope they aren't doing the cooking.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Loftie wrote:
John_Sawyer wrote:thing is humans (and we can assume all the other races) just cant stand useing the gates. it seems to give them sea sickness x10.

What I'm taking away from this thread is that only Hivers could run an empire wide pizza delivery service. I just hope they aren't doing the cooking.

Depends. Do you like cheese pizza with extra cheese?
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

fibio

Post by fibio » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Hmm, Hivers doing the delivery, humans providing the cheese, Liir providing the rest of the ingrediants and Tarka master chiefs doing the cooking. Your only customers would be the Morrigi as they're the only ones nuts enough to order a pizza with twenty lightyears on the clock. I think this idea's a winner already :D
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

agoetz3

Post by agoetz3 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 am

Hmm, just some random thoughts. I assume salvage vessels cut out pieces of interesting wreckage and carry them internally.

Loa - yeah, right.

Human - propulsion is via large thrusters at the rear. To prevent unbalancing, towed vessels would likely have to be somehow attached to be pulled along behind, far enough away that the exhaust doesn't burn them away. We have no knowledge of just how the node Drive allows them to enter/leave node space, but I imagine that a chunk of metal on a multi-kilometer long tow rope might just be out of range of whatever effect it is.

Liir - integrated micro-teleports - I would expect that if you are not within the ships' hull, you don't get counted for the teleport jump.

Hiver - no idea how long the portals from their gates remain open - if it is a significant amount of time then it can be presumed that maybe other vessels could be thrown through.

Tarka - extend the warp field may just be a Star Trek invention, one that the Tarka drives cannot duplicate.

Zuul - similar issues to Human

Morrigi - do not have a good mind version of their drive to speculate. But the more like-engined ships together, the greater the speed indicates that their drive effects spread quite a distance.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 pm

agoetz3 wrote:Morrigi - do not have a good mind version of their drive to speculate. But the more like-engined ships together, the greater the speed indicates that their drive effects spread quite a distance.

On the other hand I kind of assume that towing something with a Morrigi ship would be like trying to tow something with a surfboard or sailplane.
Their ships are shaped the way they are for a reason.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

tauseefrshad
Possible Bot

Post by tauseefrshad » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:05 am

im not sure, but i think it might have been this

Return to “The Lore”