Engineer on the go

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Latheos

Engineer on the go

Post by Latheos » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I just finished up a marathon Engi session this morning, 13 hours, level 32 on floor 27, dying to a pack of mobs that had me totally surrounded and without any healing other than my Liir necklace. Things that amused me include having over 1k of pistol ammo, with the target pistol I found early on being a mainstay, but being disappointed by the complete lack of welding goo keeping me from crafting a silenced pistol. Heck, the single (!) rib drop allowed me to make a silencer (sadly, not a heavy one, as there was also a lack of vibranite). My adamantium claws did the most consistent damage overall, doing in even robot mobs and a skunk yeti. The handful of nano repair patches meant I could keep them strong for a long time.

I went through two quantum helms and a targeting helm, had three enhancements in the auto shotgun that I loved but couldn't keep fed, and my chitin armor was awesome. I did find an exo suit down on 25 that let me use the plasma cannon I'd come up with, but being unable to use the claws kept me in the chitin most of the time. I never managed to find an EZ Cooker, but despite that was able to keep myself fed with bacon Hero sandwiches due to the purifier I found.

What irked me was that after the blue room on level 20, I never saw another one. not even on my way to death on 27. I had duplicate Liir necklaces and four other armors that I was hoping to stash for a future game down the road, but never had the chance. This was my deepest run on Normal, but on easy I'd seen a blue room on 26, so I was hoping they continued past 20, as is implied in some places (like the Wiki).

I started again just a little while ago, wanting to try a few things differently, like put more emphasis on psionics based on my perusals through the posts here. Usually I just get the bot and organic detection disciplines, and manipulation and TK Fist from the Telepathy tree. Sometimes I'll splurge for the healing, if I'm finding a lack of kits. From what I've recently read, having the ability to berserk mobs could be useful; in this recent run I had a Mother Egg that was wonderful for subverting bots, and I can see a few places where having the mobs kill each other will help me out.

Which leads me to the reason I'm posting. The RNGods are having a bit of a laugh on the current game. I'm on level four, and have already found THREE EZ Cookers and two Temporal Ejectors. The latter I haven't had much use for, but sooner or later I'm sure I'll find some way to make them useful, or, failing that, amusing. ;-)

Torezu

Re: Engineer on the go

Post by Torezu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Latheos wrote:...sooner or later I'm sure I'll find some way to make them useful, or, failing that, amusing. ;-)

This. This is my objective for every game, because I usually die in an amusing way then, at least.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm

you've never seen a blue room on 26...trust me. ;)

Latheos

Post by Latheos » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Well, I'd be the first to admit my memory's not that great. Still, I seem to recall there was something odd about the level I'd found it on (as in, it didn't seem to be within the 5 level increments as expected). But it was a while ago, so I could be wrong. :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm

yep you are ;) and they stop after a certain level.

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 pm

I envy you, being new to the game. When I started playing, it was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I was obsessed with getting to the bottom. My deaths were beautiful, and plenty, but always fair. RNG sometimes made things very difficult, but I could almost always point to some mistake I made, or possible flaw in my strategy or tactics instead of raging at my bad luck.

I think my favorite thing about The Pit is how fun it is to learn and and how much you can learn. It takes a long, long time to discover all of the items. It takes a much longer time to discover how best to use them. It's a great game and a great game to get lost in. Unlike in some of my favorite games from my childhood, RPGs like FF Tactics and the Chrono series, where I also enjoyed getting lost in a game world, The Pit challenges and taunts you to get better. Before I played this game, I never enjoyed dying so much. Well, it's not the dying that I love... it's the promise of a fresh run and a glorious victory :)
Last edited by Rioji on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brujo

Post by brujo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Latheos wrote:I'm on level four, and have already found THREE EZ Cookers and two Temporal Ejectors.

Yeah, double and triple drops are kinda annoying sometimes:

skugge

Post by skugge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Rioji wrote:I envy you, being new to the game. When I started playing, it was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I was obsessed with getting to the bottom. My deaths were beautiful, and plenty, but always fair. RNG sometimes made things very difficult, but I could almost always point to some mistake I made, or possible flaw in my strategy or tactics instead of raging at my bad luck.

I think my favorite thing about The Pit is how fun it is to learn and and how much you can learn. It takes a long, long time to discover all of the items. It takes a much longer time to discover how best to use them. It's a great game and a great game to get lost in. Unlike in some of my favorite games from my childhood, RPGs like FF Tactics and the Chrono series, where I also enjoyed getting lost in a game world, The Pit challenges challenges and taunts you to get better. Before I played this game, I never enjoyed dying so much. Well, it's not the dying that I love... it's the promise of a fresh run and a glorious victory :)

Tactics is my favorite RPG too. Proud to say i have a "complete" run with all items and secrets in the game :). Reading your post i conclude we are grinders.. Seriously whats wrong with us Rioji?

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:47 pm

I dunno, I like grinding, but only if it's fun and not monotonous. I hate EXP grinding in MMOs, for instance.

Return to “War Stories”