Extract 3D models from game?

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

duckbird

Extract 3D models from game?

Post by duckbird » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 am

Hey folks,

I haven't been playing Sots lately, but I just played my first game of Firestorm Armada, a tabletop miniature spaceship game. I think that it would be very cool to make a sots-themed fleet of minis! A friend of mine owns a 3d printer, so I was hoping to print out different sots ships!

I'm not the best at computer stuff. Does anyone know a way to get a 3d model of various sots ships out of the game? I wouldn't know the first thing about modeling them myself.

Does this sound doable? Thanks!

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Extract 3D models from game?

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:51 am

we have had such thoughts since the the first time we read the words "3D copier" :twisted:

CarbonicAcid

Post by CarbonicAcid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:40 pm

SolForce Torp Cruisers would be awesome in Firestorm Armada!!!

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 pm

I have billions* of Battlefleet Gothic ships - how could I not want Morrigi fleets as well !

* Billions may in fact be more like dozens.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 am

duckbird wrote:Does this sound doable? Thanks!
Doable, possibly. Difficulty, considerable (As is currently). At this point the easiest path would be to learn Blender/3ds Max (preferable if available) and make some models yourself. Unless you attract someone interested in getting involved too ;)

Maybe a good start would be to find out details from your friend regarding the printer, what format the files must be in, any limits on models/polycount etc. (No clue about 3d printing myself). I (wildly) assume it must be in some sort of CAD format which converting to after making/getting the model shouldnt be too hard. Maybe some info (and pictures) will get someone interested (or Kerb even :) ).

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Most 3-D printers require a slightly higher level of datafile than standard vdeo game art.

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey folks! Sorry, haven't been home for a few days.

So it sounds entirely doable, but perhaps a bit tricky in parts. The printer can handle up to 8x8x8 inches as far as dimensions go, and require a .STL file.

The printer cannot handle overhangs of an angle over 45 degrees. So that does make Solforce ships tricky... but i'm thinking they could be done vertically? That would eliminate most of the issues there. I'll talk to him more tonight now that I know it's doable. At the worst, I could print Hiver or Morrigi ships, as I think they would be simpler given the requirements of the printer.

Damn, R2dical, that is awesome! Can you do that for any sots2 ships? I haven't done anything remotely computer-art related in about 7 years, and I was never any good at it in the first place! What program would you recommend for a newbie? Would there be a way for me to take those models out of the game myself?

WOEaintME

Post by WOEaintME » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 pm

You could make the ships in sections (like they are in game) and make your own connections for gluing them together. This would let you put more detail/make the models larger. Maybe I'll try and create a model in my spare time and post what I end up with although my modelling skills are mediocre at best and that's giving myself some undue credit.

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 am

WOEaintME wrote:You could make the ships in sections

Would be even more :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

WOEaintME

Post by WOEaintME » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 pm

http://sots2.rorschach.net/Modding#Models

We use FBX formats for the models

Despite the above quote (which can be found at the above link) I have been unable to open any of the models as of yet.

R2dical

Post by R2dical » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:42 pm

WOEaintME wrote:Despite the above quote (which can be found at the above link) I have been unable to open any of the models as of yet.

duckbird wrote:Would there be a way for me to take those models out of the game myself?

Can be done but won't be easy, as no mod tools as yet...with all due respect to kerbs "above-and-beyond" time and efforts of course.

duckbird wrote:Can you do that for any sots2 ships?
Yes, the techniques I mentioned can be applied to any model (they are "Modifiers" in 3DS Max to be specific), but usually require tweaking and cleanup after for best results (the Liir CR in the pic didn't as it happens). Also each works best on certain "types" of models, like those work great on "organic" shapes like Liir ships with curves and tentacles. Flat, angular shapes, like SolForce ships will look weird and probably need other approaches, maybe displacement mapping, greebling and probably more hands on stuff. No one-size-fits-all, fire-and-forget solution but these are definitely great for "increasing detail" on an already optimised model without too much effort.

duckbird wrote:What program would you recommend for a newbie?
3DS Max (or Maya) if you can get hold off it, as its the best but very expensive. Maybe try a student licence. Else Blender is the free option, but slightly harder to learn and less features (especially like the modifiers I mentioned above). You could also go the route of Google SketchUp, very minimal and easy to use compared to the other 2 but supports import/export (even .stl IIRC) but you wont be able to do much with the actual geometry. With SketchUp you could import a Prime model and export to .STL in 5 mins, maybe worth a tester (VN Construct would be cool!).

WOEaintME

Post by WOEaintME » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 pm

If you're a student then go to http://www.autodesk.com/education/student-software, sign up and get started with 3ds max or maya. I got Max in 2012 and haven't looked back. I find Max to be very user friendly and, personally, haven't liked Blender (though I never tried it until after using Max for awhile).

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Fri May 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey folks,

Bumping this. I've got 3dsMax running, but you are right, the .obj and .scene files are all altered or encrypted or something. Huge bummer T_T;

I understand on a vague level what you mean by figuring out byte orders and stuff, but actually doing anything along those lines is wayyyy over my head.

Do I need to start from scratch? I spend my time working with century old documents. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to computer/art stuff sadly.

My Firestorm Armada fleet looks badass as hell though, and I really want my next one to be composed of Sots2 models! Damnit!

Adukra

Post by Adukra » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:36 am

I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised no one has 3D printed a ship and posted a photo yet. I just got a 3D printer recently and would love to print out a SOTS ship. Further, I'm very confident that I could do it (maybe not every ship type, but some of them certainly). However, I'm not sure if it would technically be legal to do so. I think it would be legal under fair use since its not for money or anything, but it would certainly be better to have Kerberos's blessing. What do you all think? If I got a nod of approval from the powers that be, I would have a print and a picture up within a day.

Return to “SotS2”