SotS2 Chat FAQ

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

BlueTemplar

SotS2 Chat FAQ

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Because I'm tired of always answering the same questions...
Let's make a list of the most frequently posted questions in the SotS2 IRC,
P.S.: As well as a short answer and a link for the best detailed answer. (Now that I think of it, using a proxy url shortener might be a good idea since SotS2 internal Internal relay Relay Chat chat doesn't support linking.)
EDIT : done for this faq :
http://tinyurl.com/sots2-chat-faq
(I considered naming it just sots2faq, but I feared that would be "tinyurl cybersquatting".)

1. "Wait, this is an IRC (chat)?! I didn't know that! How do I access it from outside the game?"
    At irc://irc.kerberos-productions.com/sots2 using your favorite IRC client.
    Please also think about joining #sots and #thepit sometimes.
    (And #gp for Ground Pounders, #fz for Fort Zombie, #kaiju for Kaiju-a-Gogo ?)

2. "How do I-"
    Wait, have you read the tutorial screens? They vary depending on which screen you are!

3. "But I want to know how to trade, how do I see the tutorial screen for that?"
    Research FTL economics, click view, trade view, click bottom right on the "?" button for the tutorial screen.
    [Warning for spoiled goods economic rating trap?]

4. "How do I make Leviathan?"
    http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/L ... nstruction

5. "How do I make money?" / "How do I "fix" my income? / [Why is research so slow?]"
    Economy screen explained :
    viewtopic.php?f=37&t=38960
    Short answer : Taxes from population (and basically from morale) and Trade from freighters + trade stations.

6. "How do I stop pirates"
    http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Trade#Piracy
    BTW the wiki is incomplete :
    Base chance is 2%.
    For Naval base it's -2% per level.
    Open System (by default) is another +2%.
    Hivers get a 70% miltiplier for pirate chances.

7. "How do I stop rebellions"
    Sorry, once started, you can only deal with them by killing all the civilians. Having ships in orbit might help. Don't let your colony morale fall under 20 next time.
    [Warning for spoiled goods economic rating trap?]

8. "How can I check morale globally / quickly find out which world has the worst morale"
    Sorry, but AFAIK you can't. (Economy screen shows you your average empire morale, which is pretty useless.)
    The only hope you have is to use a third party tool like these :
    viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49579
    viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50090

9. "Why can't my Zuul/Loa fleet do a mission to system X?"
    Nodeline pathfinding algorithm issues. [TODO : detailed explanation]

10. "How does Endurance/Supply work"
    [TODO]

11. "Can I change weapons on my naval station?"
    Yes, Retrofit it. [TODO : station specifics]

12. "How do I retrofit"
    See page 50 of the SotS2 manual : Retrofit.

13. "How does feasibility / overbudget / breaktrough / salvage work?"
    [TODO]

14. "Why can't I make a fleet?"
    See "Cruiser Equivalents" page 79 of the SotS2 manual : Naval Stations

15. "This Ghost Ship is ridiculous, how do I deal with it!?"
    [Possible answers : weapon & tactic spoiler, remove random events, mod it out, sacrificial stations spoiler]

16. "I'd like to play with friend but he can't see my game"
    Read what the pre-game screen says about port forwarding. Hopefully you have access to your router and know how to configure it... Otherwise you might want to try Hamachi, some people said it worked (even though I don't understand how that's possible if the hosting is partially done trough Steam servers). In any case, good luck!

17. "Is there any way to measure distances?"
    Yes, select one object, then right click on another to get the distance between both(IIRC sometimes, 1->2 won't work, but 2->1 will).

[To be Completed]

Ok, there are others, but I'll stop here for now, please suggest other frequent questions I might have missed.
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.

BlueTemplar

Re: SotS2 Chat FAQ

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Reserved just in case.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Reserved just in case 2.

Desolator

Post by Desolator » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Some things I've noticed in my time playing the game:

7) restore morale above twenty. They will stop rebelling. It might just take 20+ turns orso.
Tried and tested with a friend of mine when he left his taxes too high.

11) go to system overview on the left hand side, go to stations. Right click your naval station (or other station you want to arm). Press retrofit and arm with whatever you like, cost will be displayed underneath.

13) feasibility: chance of actually getting a tech in a game. At the start of each game the techs are "rolled for" randomly, with certain races having better chances at certain techs than others. overbudget: random chance that a tech will need more research (50%) more. basically the inverted of early breakthrough. early breakthrough: random chance of getting tech earlier, can be maximum of 50% "discount" as far as I've seen, mostly less. Salvage: random chance to gain tech from enemy when you destroy their ships / planets AND have a repair and salvage ship in the same system. Note: the ship doesn't need to be in the active combat fleet with which you are fighting. Note2: I don't know if more R&S ships increase salvage chance.

14) also check for command ships and admirals.

15) Youtube video's suggest that back facing armaments are lacking. getting behind it might help. Also, it seems that in MP it doesn't actually do anything for people other than the host. I've had the encounter multiple times and each time it would start for two seconds, finish and say "victory at...". It would do no damage whatsoever. Note: all battles were on automatic with no fleet present.

Nice list btw :D

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:02 am

Is it just me or the chat isn't working anymore, even from inside the game?

Urillch

Post by Urillch » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:07 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Is it just me or the chat isn't working anymore, even from inside the game?

SAme its stuck at connecting to chat to me.
I rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6.

Return to “SotS2”