Morrigi Internet Backup?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Tavior

Re: Morrigi Internet Backup?

Post by Tavior » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Erinys wrote:There is plenty of ancient Morrigi technology still adrift in the universe. All I can presently say about it is that the things built in the height of the old empire no longer recognize the modern Morrigi as kin. ;)

--Arinn

I can't wait to waltz my way through them all! ;)

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Erinys wrote:I know the rates of decay for every known medium of communication, because people who take responsibility for collections of artifacts and information need to know these things. Unless the Morrigi were writing on clay tablets 15K years ago, their best bet for long-term storage is actually paper, not silicon. Digital storage media become corrupted or completely irrecoverable rather quickly--typically in less than a decade, even if they are kept in ideal conditions. Film and photographic media are corrupted or completely faded within a century at most without a lot of special help. Good quality paper, on the other hand, can hold up for hundreds of years in the right conditions.

I realize it's a bit off topic, but check this out: Milleniata's M-DISC

1,000 year life would still not be long enough in some cases, but...text is small data-wise and easy to store multiple copies in various locations.

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Also, you should always take advertisement claims with a pinch of salt. Never forget, they are trying to sell you something... And they're more than willing to bend the truth a bit in ways that sound ok at first.

For instance, I'm certain that natural processes can degrade this memory. Mineral deposits or microbial waste, sand and dust microscratching, and even background radiation (including sunlight) can all cause interferances with the reading process. Failing that, is a rock falling on top of the disk natural enough for you?

My point is that there will always be a catch. Even if the anchient Morrigi created an entropy-proof reserve of knowledge for the exact case of their civilization collapsing, who's to say that anyone ever remembered where it is? It isn't exactly the sort of thing that you think about much. Even once found, the data format might be undeciferable without an effort comparible to just researching the tech again from scratch. Besides, for the ultimate in 'destruction of information'... Artificial singularities are potentially within reach for the Suul'ka.

And don't forget the tools involved as well... For example, even if you knew everything about pretty much any modern industry you won't get far without three-phased power. And how exactly are you going to build a microcomputer without a macrocomputer? One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a dataprobe.

Although, it might be that some back-ups have already been found. Just think of it... If you were to build a 'doomsday shelter', what topics would the books in it be on? They'd probably be about primative survival techniques, with barely even a brief mention of anything high-tech -let alone how it works!

And to a civilization as advanced as the anchient Morrigi, fission sounds pretty primative to me.
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:14 am

Hari Seldon wrote:If the Morrigi had something like the Internet Archive then why did they lose their knowledge? It has Google Books and will probably eventually have more college and university lectures!
http://www.archive.org/

Morrigi females and males must have separate public education and libraries. Both went down?

The USA has a cyber warfare division (defensive not offensive they say) now, and I can imagine them trying to secure the Internet Archive from attack. I'm sure they'd want it in a secret nuclear-safe bunker if they could.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cyber_Command

What I'm also saying is what happened to all of the technical manuals for the Drift City antigravity that they don't know how to maintain them? Or did they just run out of pre-Collapse parts?

Did the Morrigi have personal nanofactories (the next step up from 3D printers), that every exploration vessel could use to replace its parts and manufacture most anything else they had blueprints for?

Then again, considering what happened to the Tarka Silver Imperium (known space all becomes different ...) maybe this is worse than merely destroying civilization ...

No longer having the recovery software to read the backups that were made in a proprietery format which all record of is stored in the same (or equally hard to recover) format. Ecrypted data no one has the password for (or the header has been damaged). The companies that ran the relavent clouds scraped the data centers with essensial info with no prior notice when they went out of business.

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:18 am

Erinys wrote:There is plenty of ancient Morrigi technology still adrift in the universe. All I can presently say about it is that the things built in the height of the old empire no longer recognize the modern Morrigi as kin. ;)

--Arinn

Makes sense. If the decline was gradual rather than sudden the stuff from the height of their empire would be far away from their current terratory and have been left unattended the longest.

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:03 pm

--Arinn

Hang on there...

Silicoids? :shock:

Or Von Neumanns...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Brogatar

Post by Brogatar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Neither both are older than the Crows. The VN are referred to as our old enemy. The Von neumann themselves not their creators.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:13 am

COL Tatticky wrote:

--Arinn

Hang on there...

Silicoids? :shock:

Or Von Neumanns...

Doubt it. I would rather assume she was referring to things like the Asteroid Monitors, which will still shoot at them.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 am

Well... Think of it though, what could topple such a high-tech society? One thing that spings to mind is if the technology turned against them...

What if the anchient morrigi trusted all of their tech knowledge to AIs, but then... Via Damasco?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:17 am

No matter how awesome a civilization, it still can self-destruct, so the Morrigi entrusted their AI with being a store of their civilization's knowledge because an archive like that could be as tenacious as an AI rebellion. But then the Morrigi became far too dependent on their "AI Internet" so when it rebelled and cut off their access the Morrigi's overdependence on that civilization collapse failsaife (by it being relied on in daily life, like the internet now) made their civilization's recovery from collapse worse not better? And the cutting off of their internet may have started the civilization collapse in the first place?

+1 to your speculation making my entire idea totally ironic! :bangdesk: Awesome! :thumbsup:
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

arglabarg

Post by arglabarg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 am

Erinys wrote:Ask the Mycenaeans. And ask yourself why Greek-speaking people had to develop two entirely different written versions of the same language within 500 years. ;)

--Arinn

And here you had me thinking you were dropping hints that Linear A was Morrigi.

Pentel123

Post by Pentel123 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Okay so it is pretty well said that they had lost all this the info, but what about the harpies, do they cannonically have a tech edge over the males that came back and exiled them or was the knowledge already lost by the time they took to space?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:22 am

Given that that happened rather recently as far as their history goes, they've probably already lost most of it by then.

If anything, that was probably one of the reasons they started getting back up.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Harpies are modern Morrigi, just like their male counterparts.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Pentel123

Post by Pentel123 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:34 am

Erinys wrote:Harpies are modern Morrigi, just like their male counterparts.

--Arinn

Okay thank you.

Return to “The Lore”