New Race/Factions with DLC?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

The_Unificator

Re: New Race/Factions with DLC?

Post by The_Unificator » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Erinys wrote:*makes barfing gestures*

:) you are funny Arinn, btw, ¿do you like SG-1 and Atlantis?
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:26 pm

A bit off topic but why is the LIIR cannon flag not in the game for selection.It seems all the other races have their flag.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 am

Did I miss something? The Tatzel are a reveal of an expansion race, right? I would expect a bit more, um, chatter from the forumites.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Peanutcat

Post by Peanutcat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 am

Well Arinn is just toying with us and leading us way of track for entertainment because we are getting close to figuring out the actual race :o

The Menacer

Post by The Menacer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am

How's about some kind of sentient plant species? That's something you almost never see represented in sci-fi. I'm thinking less flower-drenched hippies and more a species of hyper-expansionists with massive bonuses to terraforming to make establishing colonies on every rock in the galaxy a real possibility. Throw in some appropriately alien psychological stuff, something like the actual creature that interacts with the world is really just one of many buds from some weirdo alien shrub safely back on the ground so the notion of a single body dying is sort of meaningless to them and you've got a pretty good excuse for me to use this pumpkin smiley :hween:

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 am

Saw this on Imgur and thought that despite only having four limbs, I can see the Tatzel moving like a platypus.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:31 am

I'm thinking it would move more like the evil centipede guy in Monsters Inc. Of course not as fluid, but that many legs would cause an even sort of movement.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Tarrak wrote:Honestly I found them to be unintentionally comical. Not hilarious, just not all that sinister and evil with all their goth'like trenchcoats and long white hair. They fit the mould of training dummies pretty damn well for the series (evil guys the good guys can run around and beat up left and right).

they were a formidable opponent to the Altantis Expedition, remember the battles of the 2nd Siege of Atlantis (end of season 1) they almost defeat the Expedition, also remember this tarrak, they defeat the Ancients the most powerful, old and advanced civilization in the SG verse

if a Wraith-like race is made available in SotS 2 the posibilities are endless, and the fun too :)
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm

That doesn't make them scary. It falls to the same problem that Star Trek: The Next Generation fell to (after a few seasons), and that is that stuff gets upplayed, we get told that these things are scary, but they aren't actually presented as such. Let me give an example from TNG, something that happened again and again: To show how scary and strong an opponent was the scariest and strongest TNG good guy was pitted against them, and lost. This was Worf naturally. The main problem with that was that afte a while this had happened enough times that Worf was suddenly not all that big and strong, after all pretty much any opponent that wasn't another Klingon involved in some political scheme, could beat him with a backhanded slap.

The same applies to the Wraith just the other way round. They are in fact quite scary in the first season, when the Expedition really can't match them, partly because they are still only encountered in small numbers and are still rather unknown. But soon they become a targetdummy and they only 'win' when the main characters are decidedly stupid, and before they can take advantage of that they are kicked in the nuts by an angry Expedition member. Eventually they simply fail to be scary because we have seen the resulting conflict many times before, and that is an overwhelming victory for Humanity. Humanity with a lack of power, a lack of advanced weapons and vastly outnumbered. The Ancients suddenly don't seem all that powerful either since they got defeated by these idiots. Eventually it is finally shown that The Ancients were in fact pretty dumb in dealing with the Wraith, they never applied the proper will to fight them until it was too late.
So the Wraith are not scary, they get defeated far too easily and far too often. Michael's hybrids on the other hand are significantly better, as they continually defeat their enemies, often they even win in defeat. As a result they appear vastly more dangerous, should Michael ever get enough numbers on his side (and we are even shown what happens then). The fact that the Wraith are borderline Goth doesn't exactly make their dangerlevels increase. It could be somewhat unnerving had they been cunning, but they rely on brute force, a style that doesn't fit their fashion.

In the end I was considerably more scared by the Genii because of their ruthlessness, persistence and intelligence, three traits the Wraith lack (save Todd of course, had more Wraith been like him I could have been more impressed). And before you call the Wraith ruthless, I have to say they aren't, they are bound by their nature, they appear incapable of actually using their 'scariness' or willing to sacrifice enough to defeat Atlantis. The Genii are willing to expend almost any resource to do that, friend, foe or even their own. That makes them unpredictable, and also quite a bit more successful at waging war against Atlantis.

So if you want Wraith for SotSII, I would say the Zuul serve a similar function, retaining the unpleasantness of the Wraith (consuming sentients in horrifying ways) but none of the stupidity or comical effect.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Garfield78

Post by Garfield78 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:56 pm

"An evil Race" sounds quite easy but i have never found an really scary evil Race in Sci-Fi so far

okay "The Frogs" from Raumpartoullie Orion where scary because of the really bad special effects ;)

its hard to say what would be a really evil thing and its a great challenge to do so i think ... maybe soon we scream
"Repent !!! The Weasels are coming!!!!" and we will have many fatal failures in our ships because of weasels nibbling
through our cables :lol:
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed

Defacto

Post by Defacto » Fri May 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Personally i would like to see a shadow type race ..... Multi limbed non biped and using organic technology, But meh maybe that cause im a big B5 fan.

To be fair its very hard to come up with a unique race.....
You cant beat death
But you can make the bastard work hard for it

Talguy 21

Post by Talguy 21 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:40 am

Weaselpede made me LMFAO. Enough said; and not knowing a thing about Stargate doesn't help with this thread, apparently.
"Who are you?" he muttered. "What are you?"

My name is Legion, it teased, mocking. For we are many.
Oh but do come back, Cai Rui. For you have seen such things…and I am so very hungry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- The Deacon's Tale
Im in ur hous, tuchin ur stuffs. - Me xD

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Actually, I wonder if the -Hivers- background description might not yield some hints as to one of the possible future races.

It has, after all, been frequently mentionned that Hivers are -very- fond of modifying their own bodies or biology to tackle new problems. For example, as said before, between modifying their own morphology to survive in an harsh atmosphere, and building costly environment suits, they would always prefer to modify their own bodies over the suits if it would be cheaper to do so. They have also been known to do such extensively in their warrior classes if I recall well.

And in the race description, it was mentionned that this should probably be something they should be wary of, less they end up accidently splitting their very species by modifying some of their own members too much.

Similarly, it has been hinted that the race of one of the expansions would be all about "gaining and holding ground", specifically in regard to a potential future ground combat system.... something which would feel fitting of a potential "splinter race" spawned from heavily modified Hivers warriors, specifically ones meants for ground combat/invasion, modified beyond the point of being able to be reffered to as Hivers anymore.

I could almost see such, of an Hiver fleet sent to invade some system(s), having been "modified" accordingly for maximum performance. As they undergo the invasion, something go bad down the chain of command, leading to part of the force to go rogue after completing the invasion and deciding to keep the systems for themselves as they splinter from an Hiver race they decided they are not related to anymore.

Random speculation is admitedly very random and probably all over in the wrong field.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Not all that random. Before the Hivers discovered gate technology they did send out colonies, these were obviously too hard to control in the long run and were apparently abandoned. But how long they existed isn't given, so if they were there for long enough for the princess to have daughters, one of those might have left herself with a prince in tow. This might be considered a great shame for the mother of her, so she didn't say anything.

So after a while the princess that left becomes a queen herself. And since she has no resources to fall back on, she might condone heavy genetic tinkering effectively greating a new race after a certain period of time.

I could see that happen. In fact I wondered about those early colonies and the lack of contact with the homeworld and the Queen. Lots of things can happen out there in the deep black when you are on your own.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Indeed they can.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “The Lore”