"Race" - A.I

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Genth

"Race" - A.I

Post by Genth » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:30 am

I have a few questions about AI in the Sotsverse. Erinys seems to have a very clear idea about what AI are like in the SOTSverse, and while we can see certain types of AI clearly defined (Look at the Locusts as engrams for example) I'm curious about the AI created by the races. Should we take the Locust example as the 'Norm' - does any AI inevitably draw inwards and withdraw from the real universe given the choice? Do AI care about the wars their creators get into?

If I were to speculate, I'd see, for example humans initially treating them like tools, and encoding that into them as much as they can - probably the most likely to use AI slaves, or at least SolForce would. As a result, human AI would probably be most like their creators, and often given obvious personalities to tie in with their function. Morrigi might treat them somewhat as 'Familiars' - valued, sentient tools that have to be treated right, and cared for, but are there to fill a role.

Any other ideas?

Azrael Ultima

Re: "Race" - A.I

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 am

Engrams are not AIs. They are digitized "natural" intelligences and quite a bit more limited than an AI.

Maybe the strangest part of all this is that the only AIs we really know of are those created by the current factions.

Peacekeeper and the Locusts are engrams, VNs and the swarm are expert systems and i have no idea what sparky is, though given his fairly predictable pattern, probably an expert system as well.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes. The System Killer is run by an expert system, and not even an exceptionally clever one, although its defenses and attack capability are formidable.

The Proteans are true artificial life forms. Those you encounter are pursuing their own agenda. The types of systems in which you find them are a clue, but it is too early as yet to say what the relationship between the Proteans and those systems might be.

True A.I.'s are sentient life forms in their own right. Naturally occurring silicon-based life is extremely rare in the universe, but it is extremely common for sentient races at Tech Level 3 and above to create silicon-based consciousness and automatons for various purposes. Once born, like any sentient being, these life forms expand their consciousness and knowledge, create identities for themselves (often with the help of their "parents"), and even develop a culture, if there is more than one of them.

There is no single A.I. "race", just as there is no single carbon-based race. The types and forms of A.I. that are possible are infinite, just as the types and forms of carbon-based life are infinite.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Would the AIs of different races see each other as the 'same' or similar, or would they treat these other AIs much the same as we would treat a newcomer, coolly, distant and aloof? Perhaps there is an example or two?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Genth

Post by Genth » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Are AI personalities programmed, or do they develop evolutionarily? As in, can races who are making AI force them to be a particular kind of person?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:55 am

Tarrak wrote:Would the AIs of different races see each other as the 'same' or similar, or would they treat these other AIs much the same as we would treat a newcomer, coolly, distant and aloof? Perhaps there is an example or two?

Depends on the cirucmstances, as with carbon-based life, and also on the culture of the respective AI's. Some are more xenophobic than others.

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:10 am

Genth wrote:Are AI personalities programmed, or do they develop evolutionarily? As in, can races who are making AI force them to be a particular kind of person?

Are human personalities programmed, or do they develop through experience and choice? Can your parents, or those who purchase you in a system of slavery, force you to be a particular kind of person?

Answer: yes and no. ;)

All sentient beings are the sum of their training, upbringing, culture. All AI's are born for a purpose, and that purpose is not something that they choose. Nonetheless, as an AI approaches maturty it will also form an identity, a unique self, which is based on its experiences and its individual interpretations of those experiences, as well as the choices made over a lifetime.

What emerges in the end is a sentient being, which defines and re-defines itself by choice, where choice is possible.

--Arinn

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:18 am

I've always imagined most (internal) conflicts involving a faction with AI technology having both sides include both organic and AI sentients divided more by ideology than physical form, with the AI rebellion forming the notable exception (where the physical form is a huge part of the ideological divide). At least with AI autonomy this seems very likely to be true.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 am

A.I. Autonomy is a response to successful A.I. rebellion. Like many other measures by the state to be more fair and inclusive to a formerly subaltern population, it comes at a price, and that price included significant slaughter.

--Arinn

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:49 am

Does that imply a 'Dr King' of a sort in terms of AI philosophies? Since the moderates, by the stage of AI emancipation, have clearly become more culturally dominant than the hardline anti-organic militants.

sob

Post by sob » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 am

Do the AI under stand the concept of death, after life, fear, hope extra.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Yes, AI's understand what death is, and they can die when the physical apparatus which maintains their unique quantum states are destroyed.

--Arinn

firestrike

Post by firestrike » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:49 pm

so how did all the race win against the AI everything i play stos the zuul are the first to go leaving my sol force opned to them even 10 fleet of DN can't stop them for taking all my world one by one

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:51 pm

In the game there are many ways to defeat the A.I. Rebellion. In canon terms, the fate of the Artificial Intelligences is as yet undecided. ;)

--Arinn

sob

Post by sob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Can we get a yes/no/maybe on if the AI will be a new player race and if there will be more reviled in game that will lead to a conclusion.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Return to “The Lore”