Black 21

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

balti knights

Re: Black 21

Post by balti knights » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Erinys wrote:
In a sense. Hivers conceptualize the Meniscus as a mirror. The duality of the Goddess (a.k.a. the Universe) is a pair of twins standing on either side of the mirror. One Queen is white, one Queen is black.

The Mirror of Creation hides each Goddess from the other. The White Goddess (matter) can see only Her own face. The Black Goddess (antimatter) can see only Her own face. Yet in some very sacred and secret depictions, each Queen reaches toward the Mirror and almost touches the glass, as if trying to touch Her twin on the other side.

--Arinn

These are the kind of ideas that I enjoy about your writing. You interweave a solid sense of spirituality into the futurescape that is the Sotsverse. It would be so easy to just concentrate on the technological and anthropological aspects of said universe. You do a splendid job of that but at the same time instil that feeling of, how to put it..
Good, Evil and the impression of there being a greater scheme of things..
This is a fine and fleshy universe, no wonder I seem to spend so much time here...
Thanks!
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Glad you're enjoying the work. Personally I don't like things to be too sterile. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

cooptimo

Post by cooptimo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Erinys wrote:The less drastic possibilities are still potentially unpleasant. Even a small breach in the Meniscus is like a small breach in your skin. You might see leaking or infection, with potentially dire results for anyone/anything in close proximity to the breach.

Hivers enter the Meniscus as a pattern and re-emerge: the Gate literally tears them down and builds them anew elsewhere. Tarkas actually split the Meniscus when they activate a warp engine. Their ships slip inside it as whole objects and retain their physical properties. A warp bubble is essentially a blister which contains a ship.

Like all methods of FTL transport, both methods pose certain...cosmic risks.

--Arinn

Yep.... gonna wear my brown pants on announcement day.

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Erinys wrote: Other universes have significantly different physical laws and mathematical constants, which means that things could get whacky. And probably not in a fun way.

Different mathematical constants? :shock: How is that possible? :angel:
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Blackswimmer wrote:Different mathematical constants? :shock: How is that possible? :angel:

How could it be any other way?

--Arinn

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Erinys wrote:
Blackswimmer wrote:Different mathematical constants? :shock: How is that possible? :angel:

How could it be any other way?

--Arinn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 am

Yes. Now how can there be ANOTHER universe if the same math applies?

--Arinn

Pickly

Post by Pickly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 am

Erinys wrote:
balti knights wrote:

--Arinn

What would you imagine the risks being for the other FTL methods?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:30 am

Well, there are always those pesky Spectres, for Humans and Zuul. Just as an example.

--Arinn

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 am

Erinys wrote:Well, there are always those pesky Spectres, for Humans and Zuul. Just as an example.

--Arinn

And using the gravity wedge/flock drive seems to run the risk of lovecraftian psychic spacewhalegods deciding that you Need To Go, or maybe just would be a few decade's entertainment. :D

marshb

Post by marshb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Mockery wrote:
Erinys wrote:Well, there are always those pesky Spectres, for Humans and Zuul. Just as an example.

--Arinn

And using the gravity wedge/flock drive seems to run the risk of lovecraftian psychic spacewhalegods deciding that you Need To Go, or maybe just would be a few decade's entertainment. :D

:twisted:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Erinys wrote:
balti knights wrote:So could it be said it's the stuff in between, the glue so to speak.

Hivers enter the Meniscus as a pattern and re-emerge: the Gate literally tears them down and builds them anew elsewhere. Tarkas actually split the Meniscus when they activate a warp engine. Their ships slip inside it as whole objects and retain their physical properties. A warp bubble is essentially a blister which contains a ship.

--Arinn

Pickly wrote:
What would you imagine the risks being for the other FTL methods?

--Arinn

"A warp bubble is essentially a blister which contains a ship"...

... Now, I was amongst the firsts which used to counter-asks what "proofs" one might have of the Puppetmaster Grand Menace being linked to the meniscus....

... but now? I'm not so sure. The way the Tarkas uses the Meniscus feels as scary than the way the Zuul Rip drives uses of nodespace.
Which may or may not be pretty much why those pesky Specters are about nowadays.

... and I wouldn't be surprised if one of these "blisters" might not have attracted the Puppetmaster... if not literally caused it's very appearance.

Also, it now makes me wonder just -how- the Hivers would react if they learned what Tarka Warp Engines actually did in the Meniscus, which they seem to consider so sacred.
My feeling, in fact, would feel that it would translate as "Not well, not well at all".

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:51 pm

That's assuming the thing the Hivers do doesn't turn out to be even worse.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Well, the way the Hivers FTL works sounds like the biggest person at risk is not really the rest of the universe, but the Hivers who themselves uses it.

Since they don't rip apart the Meniscus. The Meniscus rip -them- apart to reform them somewhere else. Almost the opposite of the mechanic of the Tarkan drive in a fashion where the ship remain "Whole" by cutting a bubble/blister in the Meniscus..

Pickly

Post by Pickly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:33 am

Mockery wrote:

--Arinn

Liir and Moriggi were actually the two I was most curious about when reading the comment, since they don't seem to do anything involving not involving the existing universe's structure. (Suul'ka being attracted to Moriggi isn't any more cosmic than, say, Liir attacking zuul because they feel the rip drives cause enormous pain.)

Return to “The Lore”