Do assault shuttles carry troops?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

BasementDweller

Do assault shuttles carry troops?

Post by BasementDweller » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 am

Ok, so I wasnt sure if this belongs in the ship or the lore section, so move it if you feel its appropriate. So as the title suggests, do assault shuttles acutally carry troops to the surface or do they just make air strikes?

bmac4417

Re: Do assault shuttles carry troops?

Post by bmac4417 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:27 am

Just air strikes. They're bombers, essentially. Any ground troops are carried by abstracted-out ships.

BasementDweller

Post by BasementDweller » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:28 am

Huh. Where did you get your info, not that I doubt you I'm just curious for future reference.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 am

*points to bmac4417's post count and join date*

We've, uh, been here waaaay too long. :lol:

It's all here somewhere. Mec said it once and we never forgot it. ;)
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

BasementDweller

Post by BasementDweller » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:18 am

Tssha wrote:*points to bmac4417's post count and join date*

We've, uh, been here waaaay too long. :lol:

It's all here somewhere. Mec said it once and we never forgot it. ;)

Oh no, I saw his join date and post count too, and like I said I dont doubt it. I was just wondering if there was a place where all the lore behind the game was documented, the sots wiki is very informative but it has a few holes lore wise.

I went to read the wiki and while did say that they strifed the planet (which I figured based on the missles that bristle the assault shuttle) they didnt really touch on a whole lot lore stuff like wheather or not the shuttles carried troops. I was just curious since the shuttles seemed kind of like they had a lot of cargo space and in alot of sci-fi lore shuttle refers to a ship that moves cargo between a planet and what ever is in its orbit.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:10 am

They are bombers that blast planets into submission. I don't have the quotes, but it is the truth. The original posts are long gone, AFAIK. There might be some clues here
http://chariot.nickersonm.com/ANY_TechTree.html or in the wiki.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

BasementDweller

Post by BasementDweller » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 am

patton1942 wrote:They are bombers that blast planets into submission. I don't have the quotes, but it is the truth. The original posts are long gone, AFAIK. There might be some clues here
http://chariot.nickersonm.com/ANY_TechTree.html or in the wiki.

Yeah I already checked out the wiki. On a side note I hope I didnt offend anyone, my intention wasnt to accuse people of lieing or anything. Just curious about where people get their info from and slightly surprised that some one actually thought to ask about this before me. Theres not a whole lot of gaming communities interested enough in the lore to ask something like that.

Jandor

Post by Jandor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:28 pm

An Assault Shuttle is used to strafe an enemy colony, killing the colony's population and damaging its infrastructure.

From the tech description, it pretty heavily implies that its just dropping bombs.

I'm also pretty sure it's been mentioned explicitly somewhere, but I don't have any specific source.
Anyone Fooled?

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Don't worry, I don't think you're accusing me of lying or refusing to believe me or anything. But pointing to the thread we read it on is...well, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

You can look for it yourself, but in the meantime, why don't you just accept that it exists and is pointy, aright? ;) Sorry I can't be more specific than that, I really can't.
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Tssha wrote:Don't worry, I don't think you're accusing me of lying or refusing to believe me or anything. But pointing to the thread we read it on is...well, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Yes. This is why people need a SotSPedia once in a while. ;)

-Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

BasementDweller

Post by BasementDweller » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Tssha wrote:But pointing to the thread we read it on is...well, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

I understand, I did a search on the forum but the topic must no longer exsist and is long gone as you say. Its been like what, 5 years since this game came out?
Tssha wrote:You can look for it yourself, but in the meantime, why don't you just accept that it exists and is pointy, aright? ;)

I except that they do not land troops, but I was just wondering if there were some other websites other than the wiki or posts with more details on other things as well in case I had more questions. I guess the wiki and the posts are on these forums are all there is. Which I did notice that there were some posts detailing some of the various ships and technologies on the other boards which is a nice resource to have.

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:23 am

Here's the only reference I found on it:

07-Apr-07
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4949&p=87427#p87427

Erinys wrote:
splintercell56 wrote:Interesting, tho one question. The shuttle Cai Rui and the Marines were escaping on, Assault Shuttle? Or something else?

The Marines are riding in an assault shuttle slick. It is a troop transport.

--Arinn

Formid

Post by Formid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 am

Wouldn't be surprised if Morrigi assault shuttles deploy travellers in ascension armor as well. I suspect they have the tech to carry some pretty nasty firepower on a small chassis.

BasementDweller

Post by BasementDweller » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 pm

twentypence wrote:Here's the only reference I found on it:

07-Apr-07
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 427#p87427

Erinys wrote:
splintercell56 wrote:Interesting, tho one question. The shuttle Cai Rui and the Marines were escaping on, Assault Shuttle? Or something else?

The Marines are riding in an assault shuttle slick. It is a troop transport.

--Arinn

hmmmm... Thats interesting.... I guess maybe it hasnt been completely hashed out whether or not they do? Of couse that topic is old maybe its been changed since then?

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:02 am

Well the events of that quote are a bit out of context.
At the time they were landing on an at one time Human colony currently mysteriously uninhabited.
Not exactly the same operating parameters as assaulting a thriving enemy colony.

Return to “The Lore”