Say hypothetically...

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Say hypothetically...

Post by ZedF » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Try developing a game sometime before regaling is with your ideas of what is easy to do.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:19 pm

rytram wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm
you believe such options may "overload" the AI but i think but from playing this game it was never an issue. additionally setting some of these options not only limits the amount of units in the game to choose from but setting some of these options can save trouble with the game engine bogging down later in the game. so it is in fact beneficial. that being said this game and SoTS are run on much older engines that were limited by the 32bit engine which couldnt address more than 4gb of RAM thereby causing late game issues. IIRC.
Here is a thing you have to understand...which is something I admittedly did not until I started to listen to various game developers and especially indie game devs wrt options: Every option you add is a WHOLE other game to test and debug. That time and those resources are not free and are not always available versus getting the game out the door in a reasonable state.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

rytram

Post by rytram » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:39 pm

now, Slashman. THAT makes sense and is understandable. explanations are always better than naysaying.

i still think it is a good concept worth looking into. but ultimately it is in the hands of the developers to discern for themselves what is worth their time. this is a thread about feedback and ideas afterall. nothing said here is to be considered a demand. just feedback.

however, there are tons of things that come to mind from time to time and this is really the only place i have to share those ideas.
i was actually just thinking today how some stations could use a buff. the idea came to me when i was watching Star Trek DS9. when the Klingons attacked the station. it was well armed and dished out heavy firepower. now, i wouldnt expect ALL stations to be like this. in fact i wouldnt expect most orbital stations to be like this. maybe beef up asteroid monitors and command stations. the AM's the player can construct are super weak compared to the random encounter ones in the game. and furthering that thought. i would even say in the event of a 3rd game, maybe have a station unit that can be constructed somewhere in deep space. another idea that literally JUST popped into my head. what if things like black holes, neutron stars, plasma storms and other space anomalies were in that game. oh the possibilities are endless.

SoTS is a game i am actually passionate about. it is among my favorite games of all time. in fact. i think id place it 5th on my list. right below FFVI, Chrono trigger, metroid(s), Megaman X's. but above Diablo and Supreme Commander.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Also please keep in mind when you are comparing games with 10 times the team size and budget of sots.

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 pm

AM Frigate
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:02 pm

Looks like something you DON'T want to get its sight on you... Nice!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:46 pm

So any update on a SOTS HD, Mecron?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 am

I really never know how to answer something like this.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm

I mean you don't have to answer. I was just wondering how many more games are on the cards before we can see something like that happen.

Or if the idea is a wash, then what is Kerberos doing next? Will it be the The Pit 2 or another new IP? I'm still holding out hope for a city builder in the SOTS universe or a shmup. Anything SOTS I guess.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:30 am

Mecron wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 am
I really never know how to answer something like this.
If you're taking suggestions I'd propose a "Sure, coming along nicely, probably out in three to four months!"

Sorry, just had to, that would be totally incredible. Blame it on my enthusiasm for SotS.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 am

Slashman wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm
I mean you don't have to answer. I was just wondering how many more games are on the cards before we can see something like that happen.

Or if the idea is a wash, then what is Kerberos doing next? Will it be the The Pit 2 or another new IP? I'm still holding out hope for a city builder in the SOTS universe or a shmup. Anything SOTS I guess.
Boarding actions in the SOTSverse! Take command of your own squad and try to take over the enemy ship!

+1 for the city-builder idea!
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Starknight wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 am
Slashman wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm

Boarding actions in the SOTSverse! Take command of your own squad and try to take over the enemy ship!

+1 for the city-builder idea!
I know right? It would be awesome to build from the perspective of an independent colony in the SOTSverse. I mean that would be a really unique game. Because for sure the Hivers and the Liir for instance would be worlds apart in terms of city requirements and well everything. I'd never touch Cities Skylines again.

Boarding actions would be rather interesting too...it could use the FPS perspective of the Pit Infinity and instead of a facility out in the sticks it would be cool to board ships of all the factions...except the Loa of course.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:35 pm

slash have you already gotten the 2 games we have released in the past 6 months? And reviewed them on steam? ;)

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:52 pm

Admittedly no. Last game I have and reviewed favorably was the The Pit Infinity (and all its DLC). I just wasn't into Hordes of Glory and I have not picked up Planetary Control. No real reason for that...just that my casual gaming plate is pretty filled right now.

rytram

Post by rytram » Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm

Have you thought of making a sots style mobile game that is sort of like those other games such as "top war" and the like?

Im sure it us an unpopular opinion but those games if monetized reasonably make a lot of money and are relatively inexpensive to make and maintain. It could be a good source of money for the franchise. And a good source of money is what a sots hd needs lol
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Return to “SotS”