Bastard Sword 4.0.2 [New!]

Share your mods and tricks of the trade here.
rytram

Re: Bastard Sword 4.0.2 [New!]

Post by rytram » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:06 am

another thing i have a problem with is all of the heavy missile mounts that CANT be changed to any other weapons. it bugs me that i can have 6+ large mounts dedicated to missiles only.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Red Hellion, would it be possible for you to post a version of the 4.0.2 mod files with your changes? I'd appreciate that a great deal (rather than having to figure out how to redo them myself and then also repeat all of the tedium you went through).

solops

Post by solops » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:51 pm

+1

Red_Hellion

Post by Red_Hellion » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 am

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a while.

Here you go (hopefully this stays up for a while, I've never actually used Mediafire before):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9p219icu ... ON.7z/file

Changes are listed in "4.0.2 REDHELLION Changes.txt" in the root directory of the mod. Installation is exactly the same as for regular BSotS, and you should even just be able to copy this over your existing BSotS 4.0.2 mod install and use it in the middle of existing BSotS 4.0.2 saves (any existing dreadnoughts and dreadnought designs will just have all their turrets set to "default" weapons such as red lasers or basic missiles, so any existing dreadnoughts of any player will most likely turn into cannon fodder and you'll need to reconfigure all of your dreadnought designs - the AI should reconfigure all of their designs automatically).

I also give alphacentauri full permissions to integrate my changes into the main BSotS mod or otherwise make use of them, of course - my changes are based on their 4.0.2 version of this mod after all. I doubt I'll be making any further tweaks/changes to this version of BSotS, at least for now, so I provide all my changes as-is with no guarantee of further support from myself.

If anyone's curious, getting familiar with the moddable files and then looking into all these issues and fixing them (including playing the game a bit in between to test changes) took about 12-16 hours. I used Sublime Text 3 as my code/text editor. The changes were tested using an existing save where I was playing as Hiver, hopefully the other races are fine (I tried to make sure that all changes I made were made equally for each race).

If anyone wants to follow my own recommendations and potentially upgrade the Huge triple-barrel weapons to fire 4 or even 5 shots instead of just 3, you'll want to edit the "weapon.burst_volleys" value of the appropriate /Weapons/XXXXX.weapon (e.g. /Weapons/bal_huge_triple.weapon) file - since I had to use a single-barrel turret model, I control the number of shots fired via the burst volley size. You can do the same for the huge beam weapons by multiplying the "weapon.beam.dam" and "weapon.beam.force" values by 4 or 5 (they're already multiplied by 3 as noted in the files, so divide by 3 first) - since beam weapons don't really have a "volley" like projectile weapons and I had to use a single-barrel turret model, I just multiplied their effective damage and force applied to the target. If the graviton beams are flinging ships around too easily, you can decrease the "weapon.beam.force" values for them back down to normal.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm

Thank you very much, Red Hellion!

solops

Post by solops » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:30 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm
+1

sataricon

Post by sataricon » Sat May 15, 2021 5:41 am

IF i can ask because i'm fairly new to modding this game.
There is 3 version of this mod 1.0 , 3.0.2 & this one.
Should i install just the last one or install all of them.?

2- Does this mod conflict with the Asadex Texture Mod?

Also thank you for the amazing effort.

Red_Hellion

Post by Red_Hellion » Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 pm

> Should i install just the last one or install all of them.?

Just whichever one you want to use. They're all "complete" standalone packages, they don't require anything from a previous version.

> Does this mod conflict with the Asadex Texture Mod?

No idea, I was only using this mod on its own. Hopefully someone else can answer any incompatibility questions.

AotrsCommander

Post by AotrsCommander » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:12 pm

(I appreciate this is a long shot at this point, but it's worth a try,)

I am trying to install the mod, but when I got into it, i got this:

I'm guessing the text strings, like, shouldn't do that?

I downloaded the "recommended face-lift mods" from BSotS 1.0c thread.

I download 4.02 and Red Hellion's file.

I extracted them in my Downloads folder, the moved the to the mods folder (I've got the Ulitmate Edition, not Steam or something if it makes any difference).

I have tried using 4.02 on its own, 4.02RH on its own, and copy Red Hellion's mod folder to overwrite 4.02, seems th same.

It looks to my admittedly non-modder eyes like something is up with the text strings identifier file is missing somewhere, but I have no idea where to look or what.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: *skulldesk*

Nevermind, folks. After some digging around in my files, I happened upon a text file I'd buried with the saves which was someone telling people how to, like, delete stuff (like Von Nuemanns - now I remember last time I played I was having a really bad time with RNG) out of the game, which included basically unpacking the SotS.gob file into the game folder. Comparing my current folder with the SotS one on my back-up HDD (the current was was cloned off what is now the back-up) AND the one in the install guide thread linked in the OP, I removed all the folders that SHOULD be normally archived in the .gob file and tried again and THIS time, I got a BSotS splash screen and it all worked properly.

Funnily enough.

(I know just about enough about modding to frack things up but just barely enoguh to have half a clue of what might be going wrong...!)

So let this serve as a warning for other idiots...

firigd

Post by firigd » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:39 am

Hi, I've been trying to download this versions for a few months now, but every time, the unpacking doesn't succeed and it gives me many incomplete files. I've downloaded it many times and tried both Win Rar and Win Zip for extraction, both giving me checksum errors. Any ideas? :googly:

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 am

Hi,

1. Some very minor typos:

guass cannon (the foundational Ballistic Weapon tech)...and somewhere I saw the word damanages or something for the word "damage"

(Now I have to say that I my low sense of humor finds that a "guass" cannon to be a nice test to see if players are paying attention)

2. Unfortunate planet name: Another minor thing: Anything called "Ngor" is very unfortunate for English speakers as it could phonetically sound like a very bad insta-violence word. It was my homeworld for two seconds before I restarted the game.

3. Played the heck out of 4.0.2 after a super-long break from SOTS, some feedback:

a. Tech tree misses, due to randomizer?

- Is there a hidden trigger to get the various Point Defense techs to "activate" in the tree? Otherwise I must be unlucky in that in several games I lucked out in finding a single PD weapon. (for example, in vanilla SOTS, IIRC, the player had to research VRF tech to activate any of the PD techs (this doesn't appear to be a rule in BSOTS thankfully). For example, before the Fusion era, I would like a PD weapon (any PD weapon)...but lucked out in several game instances even with a nice variety of them in the tree. Planetary assaults against well developed worlds involves flying into a missile storm...

edit: there must be some sort of hidden trigger on/about heavy platforms...suddenly the point defense techs appeared...perhaps this is intentional? i.e. "you don't get PD weapons until cruiser era"?

- Armor Piercing mass driver tech is also very elusive: another fave tech I lucked out in many games (@10) that never saw this come up once. Missed with both Hiver and Tarka who usually have great Ballistic Weapons tech.

4. I've never used the very cool looking "MasterTechList (100% Chances).tech" option, if I implement this to resolve my whining in item #3 above:

a. Does this game Zuul empires access to all techs also? This seems to be a very bad thing (well, good for Zuul). Or maybe it would be a good thing given that I find the AI cannot really use the Zuul to their full potential....

b. Would it have any other sort of imbalancing effect on AI gameplay or research priorities (such as Liir AI empire, now given 100% of all "bio-warfare tech", will spend a bit too long researching the very best plague missile tech instead of advancing to cruisers, etc. etc., or Zuul AI empire, similarly deciding to research bio-tech that they probably don't need.

5. I think I read that BSOTS basically guarantees a single weapon tech tree for a given empire. Would it be possible to make that "two random weapon tech trees"?

I.e. for example: Hiver usually gets a pretty full Ballistic Weapons tree, and then any sort of "ultraviolet class energy weapon" is very hit or miss, I've found. Tarka are a little better in achieving some starting "ballistic and energy weapon balance".

I am a bit prejudiced against missiles as shipboard weapons so above is a purely my opinion. I also haven't yet tried out those dual missile launchers etc. in the missile tree, so I may be missing out on a nice BSOTS weapon choice.

6. Overall I'm super glad this mod is alive, well, and improving!
Last edited by myrmidon on Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:12 am

firigd wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:39 am
Hi, I've been trying to download this versions for a few months now, but every time, the unpacking doesn't succeed and it gives me many incomplete files. I've downloaded it many times and tried both Win Rar and Win Zip for extraction, both giving me checksum errors. Any ideas? :googly:
Per the steam page for BSOTS mod:

You'll need 7-Zip to unzip it:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:52 am

solops wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:30 am
ScoSteSal118 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm
+1
+1 gonna play me some redhellion bsots

Malorn

Post by Malorn » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:25 am

I'm getting quite the impressive number of crashes while I'm playing with BSoTS on 4.0.2. All of them in battle, sometimes when a battle loads up, sometimes right in the middle of battle. Reloading and retrying generally gets me past the crash next time... or the third time, but I'm not quite sure why it's crashing in the first place. I can rarely get through more then two battles without at least one crash.

I am running no other mods whatsoever. Is anyone else getting anything like this?

AotrsCommander

Post by AotrsCommander » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:52 pm

Following the discussion on the Steam page with Mordachai, here are the relevant bits for the corrected weapon display readout values, bringing them into consistency, at least, with the other weapons in their groups. (To elaborate for the crowd, it doesn't change the damage values or anything, juust shows that the weapons don't confusingly seem to spike inconsistently in the weapon displays.)

There were the ones I personally noticed, at any rate.

(I would have preferred to attach the files directly for even quicker copy/paste, but that doesn't seem to be an option, and my download drive space is limited because I have to use it for work.)

can_3_am_dual.weapon

Code: Select all

rating_frate	5
	rating_dam		9
	rating_acc		3
	rating_range	8
can_3_am_polarized_dual.weapon

Code: Select all

rating_frate	5
	rating_dam		7
	rating_acc		3
	rating_range	8